437. Hawk, bak, on a pedestal; on the back a ring for suspension from
a necklace, fin. long. Ilcematite.
438. Hawk, bak, standing on a pedestal, the wings marked ; on the back
a ring. Jin. high. Light-blue porcelain.
439. Similar hawk, wings plain, fin. high. Same material.
440. Similar hawk. # in. hiffh. Same material.
441. Similar hawk. -| in. long. Same material.
442. Hawk, bak, standing on a pedestal, wearing on its head the pschent
or crown of Upper and Lower Egypt, emblems of the god Har or Horus, either
in his character of Har-ur or the elder Horus, son of Seb and Nut, and
brother of Osiris, or else as Har-sa-hesi, or Har-si-esis, Horus the son of
Isis. f-in. high. Blue porcelain.
443. Similar hawk. fin. high. Green porcelain.
444. Soul represented as a hawk with a human head, emblem and hieroglyph
of the word ba, soul; face gilded, the namms, or head-dress, blue; body
yellow, feet red, and plinth blue. These figures of the soul are found placed
at the top of the wooden sepulchral tablets of a later period when gilding-
was introduced, and they symbolized the disembodied soul of the deceased.
4|- in. high. Sycamore wood.
445. Similar hawk, feet red. 3-1 in. high. Same material.
446. Similar hawk, face bearded, the soul being supposed to be masculine,
whether of men or women, and face coloured red, feet white, body maroon
and white ; head-dress, namms, blue. 4| in. long. Same material.
447. Human-headed hawk, emblem of the disembodied soul, ba, the face
bearded, standing on a pedestal, wings plain on the back, a ring for suspen-
sion. According to the 85th chapter of the Ritual, it was one of the types
into which the deceased was changed or transformed to avoid going to the
place of death, and losing its knowledge or consciousness. These objects are
mostly of the period of the seventh cent. b. c. in. high. Lapis lazuli.
448. Hawk, ba, human-headed emblem of the soul; wings marked, standing
on a pedestal: on the back a ring. | in. high. Light-blue porcelain.
448"". Similar human-headed hawk, f in. high. Same material.
449. Similar human-headed hawk, f in. high. Same material.
450. Similar human-headed hawk. fin. high. Same material.