"the Sun;" on the reverse, in intaglio, sistrum ses's, with handle in shape of
the head of the goddess Athor, cornice and litui, perhaps hieroglyph of the
goddess Se^et, and two ursei serpents facing outwards, a common symbol and
combination on these amulets : pierced. -| in. long. White glazed steatite.
867. Cowrie ; on the base jr^p J nefer uta, " The good symbolic eye."
Perhaps alluding to the four good paddles of the four quarters of the compass
called "The good paddles," and always accompanied with a symbolic eye. Lepsius,
Todtenbuch, Taf. lxx. c. 148. 1. 33—34. -| in. long. Green felspar.
868. Scarabseus, xePer> plain elytra; on the base, in intaglio, a symbol
Tat, or stability between two ostrich feathers, emblem of Truth, two eyes maa,
" to see," and an emblem of stability between two of life—the whole perhaps
referring to " seeing established truth and life," or " life truly established :"
pierced. in. long. White glazed steatite.
869. Scarabseus, xePeV> plain elytra; on the base, in intaglio, Hawk of
the god Horus : pierced, § in. long. Pale blue glazed steatite.
870. Scarabceus, xePer> back broken off; on it, in intaglio, © j T Rd renpa
nefer, " The Sun—a good year;" wish for a good or happy year. § in. long.
Blue glazed steatite.
871. Scarabseus, plain elytra; on the base, in intaglio, the Hut, or Good
demon form of Haroeris, or the elder Apollo, the hawk of Horus, symbol of lord,
and two urooi serpents; the whole perhaps meaning Hut-Horus, lord of the
Upper and Lower country: pierced. -} in. long. Green glazed steatite..
872. Scarabseus, yep&i", on the base, in intaglio, ^ [j anx a neb, "The
living ursei:" pierced. £in. long. Green glazed steatite.
873. Frog, heqa; on the base, in intaglio, ( a, and urseus, perhaps for
"Hail," or "Oh goddess," but meaning obscure: pierced. ^ in. long. Green
874. Scarabaeus, xePer> elytra; on the base ^ red crown, tes'er,
and symbolic eye, uta, common combination on these objects, but of uncertain
meaning : pierced. \ in. long. White glazed steatite.