Amongst the collection of Egyptian antiquities belonging to Ilis Grace the
Duke of Northumberland is a small obelisk of red granite, in the Hall of Syon
House. This obelisk was discovered in 1838, in the ruins of a village in the
Thebaid, and was presented by Mohammed Ali to Algernon, fourth Duke of
Northumberland, then Lord Prudhoe, in 1838. It was erected by Amenophis II.,
of the 18th dynasty, to Khnum Ea, or Chnoumis, at a place called on the
obelisk the altar of Ea, or the Sun.
The obelisk has a single line of inscription down one side only, the other sides
having been left plain. The inscription is cut plain, and the name of Amen has
been anciently erased by the disk-worshippers of the 18th dynasty, and after the
restoration of the worship of Amen Ea again inserted. On the apex of the
obelisk, which is broken, is a picture representing Khnum Ea, represented
draped in a tunic and sash, goat-headed, seated on a throne, facing to the
right, holding life in his right hand, and a sceptre, t'am or uasm, in his left.
Eefore him, facing, and kneeling on the ground, is the king Amenophis II.,
wearing a tunic and leonine sash, holding in his right hand a pyramidal loaf
of white bread, ta hut, over which he places his left hand. In the area is
the following inscription, -ynum her hat Abu taf anx uasm neb.—Amenhetep ta,
dnx ma Ha, "Khnoum, resident in Abu," or Elephantine. "He gives life
and strength (to) Amenhetep (Amenophis II.), giver of life, like the Sun."
The scene is surmounted by the heaven.
Down the obelisk is the following inscription: Har em a^u Hot anx 9.a.
next ur peh peh su xe^ ®a xePeru sa r" Amenhetep neter heq Uas ar naf
m men f ntef xnum ar naf Texenu(ti) enx<at Ed ar f ta dnx t'eta.