GLASGOW ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY.
There are, as we have said, traces of other two, one low down
very near the bottom. It is perfectly clear that the layers are
not protracted beyond the kerb line. The berm is 27 feet wide,
and is at the edge of the scarp about 2 feet higher in level than
the surface of the north kerb. The fosse1 is 38 feet wide and
about 9 feet deep to the present grown-up bottom. The edge
of the counterscarp is 3 feet 10 inches higher than the berm
at the angle of the scarp. The outer mound, which shows
externally that it is full of stones, some of them large, is
extensive and prominent. Starting from the side of the
counterscarp its surface is comparatively flat for a distance
of 73 feet, then descends quickly to the natural level 20 feet
beyond, falling in the latter space about 8| feet. The ditch
must have been as nearly as may be on the very crown of
the hill here, for the slope on the north side of the outer
mound is a very rapid descent northwards.
A Later Description.
The foregoing account of this section was written, substantially
as it stands, in July, 1891. In the following month, on the visit
of the Royal Archaeological Institute, the section was widened,
the ditch cleared out, and the outer mound partially cut also.
This fresh cutting, showing, of course, a new face of earth in
the section, disclosed no less than 19 layers in the vallum, as
1. On the bottom, resting on the stone and reaching
to the kerbs on each side, \ inch thick.
6 inches up,
slight and faint.
| inch thick.
1 For description of fosse after it was sectioned, see further on.