Glasgow Archaeological Society   [Hrsg.]
The Antonine Wall report: being an account of excavations, etc., made under the direction of the Glasgow Archæological Society during 1890 - 93 — Glasgow, 1899

Seite: 94
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/antonine_wall1899/0112
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
94

GLASGOW ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY.

outer mound has the same general character at all the places.
It is flattish at first, and then dips to the natural level. At
section No. 5 its flat top is 25 feet "broad; then comes a rapid fall
of 7 feet in 17. At section No. 6 the top is 31 feet broad; then
there is a fall of 7 feet in 25. All the way up the slope of
Castlehill, the outer mound is of the same character, usually
between 25 and 30 feet in breadth on the top, with a quick,
short dip to the still falling natural level on the north.

It only remains to be said that 65 feet west of section No. 7
the vallum line attains its highest point, 475 feet above sea level
—at the place where it passes over Castlehill, about 34 yards
north of and 32 feet lower than the highest point of the hill. ■

The site of the camp or station of Barr Hill is immediately
westward of the stone dyke referred to. The outline of the
station can still be made out in the field—the indent of the ditch
all round being readily traceable, as well as the rounded corners
of the enclosure. This station would appear to have differed
from the others along the line of the wall, in that it is not
appuied to the vallum in the same fashion. Elsewhere, it is the
rule for the vallum to serve as the outer wall of the camp. Here,
however, the camp must have had an independent north wall. It
still has the remains of one ditch on the north, and between that
ditch and the line of the vallum there is a clear interval, so that
the vallum does not appear to have been utilised, as it was
elsewhere, to do away with the necessity for any other north
wall for the camp. Eoy and Stuart's maps and ground plans
which attach the station to the wall are in this respect of doubtful
accuracy.

The field dyke adjoining had contained many stones of the
normal Roman shape, some of them carved with the diamond and
other types of broaching, but all external signs of buildings once
existing in this important station have disappeared. Doubtless
the foundations could still be found beneath the surface.

In the spring of 1895 there were found on the site of the west
wall of the station, about 70 yards south of the ditch of the vallum,
three large stones, shown on the under-part of the photographic
block on p. 61. They were struck by the plough at the depth of
a normal furrow, and were removed subsequently by Mr. Park
loading ...