Glasgow Archaeological Society   [Hrsg.]
The Antonine Wall report: being an account of excavations, etc., made under the direction of the Glasgow Archæological Society during 1890 - 93 — Glasgow, 1899

Seite: 96
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/antonine_wall1899/0114
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
96

glasgow archaeological society.

with the very rare distinction of resting upon its original base, it
now stands amongst the other Tituli Romani, which Dr. James
Macdonald has, with so much patience and learning, trans-
literated and described.

SEABEG.

About five miles east of Croy Hill, at a point where the vallum
is approached by the Forth and Clyde Canal, more than a mile
east of Castlecary, and about half a mile west of Bonnybridge,
there is a strip of plantation known as Seabegs Wood. Here the
next series of excavations was made by the cordial permission
of the Most Noble the Marquess of Zetland, the proprietor. The
wood has been an excellent preservative, and the vallum and
fosse are still in fine condition. The alternate swelling ridge of
the vallum, strip of berm, sharp dip of the ditch and large outer
mound are all here very distinct. All the great characteristics
of the work are here also, making it possible to form some
conception of the whole.

The vallum runs along a slope descending northwards, but
at a point in it where a much more accelerated descent is just
beginning. The outer mound, probably from that reason, assumes
dimensions which, if not really more considerable than in previous
sections, at least bulk large to the eye approaching the work from
the north, where a public road runs alongside the canal. Its
flatfish top averages about 40 feet in breadth; then with a steep
slope its northern face reaches the natural level. All along at
intervals there are stones laid on the face of the counterscarp—
once there is a boulder, and once there is a row of stones vertically
built in.

Seabeg.—Section No. 1. PLATE III.

[Section of vallum only.]

This cutting is situated 143 yards to the west of the burn
flowing through the woodland enclosure west of Seabeg
farm. This plantation is known as Seabegs Wood,1 and the

1Both forms, Seabeg and Seabegs, appear to be historical. "The lordeschip
of Sabeg" is named in 1443, whilst the style in 1506 is "Soybegis." (Registrum
Magni Sigilli, 1424-1513, Nos. 372, 3013.)
loading ...