Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1892-1893

Seite: 11
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.10054.4
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.10054#0025
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1892_1893/0025
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
Archaeological Survey 1892-03.

11

left. These, however, show that the owner of the tomb was a " royal
chancellor " and a "familiar friend of the king." The false door on the
south side is inscribed with the name and titles of the owner's wife, a
priestess of Hathor and " favourite of the king," named Henent.

Descending again to the lower tier and turning to the left (south-
wards), the next tomb reached is that of Uau (with the "good name"
Iau), containing a few mutilated paintings and inscriptions. The latter
inform us that the owner was " Great Chief of the Hermopolite Nome "
and a " Superintendent of the South." Tomb No. 19 contains some
interesting bas-relief work and painting. Its owner, named Mem (with
the "good name" Beba), was "Superintendent of the South," "Super-
intendent of the New Towns," and " Governor of the Citadel (?) of Pepi."
A portrait of his wife is given on the north wall, together with her
name, Nefer teta (?), and titles. Their children are also named; the
eldest son Uau being perhaps identical with the owner of tomb No. 18.
Immediately above tomb No. 19 is a very small one (No. 21) containing
inscriptions painted in green hieroglyphs, showing that the tomb was
excavated for a " Superintendent of the Oasis (?)," named Hepa.
Descending again to the lower tier, and still going southward, one
enters the much-mutilated tomb (No. 23) of a jjrince named Urarna.
whose titles show that he was a " Superintendent of the New Towns,"
a "Priest of Userkaf-ra," and a "Priest of Chufu." Adjoining the
last tomb is the finest one of the group, containing some beautiful and
delicate bas-reliefs, which give a vai'ied and interesting picture of life in
Egypt during the Ancient Kingdom. The scenes representing agri-
cultural pursuits are especially noteworthy, and the domesticated
animals are depicted with very great skill. The tomb was executed
for Urarna, " Governor of the Hermopolite Nome," " Superintendent of
the New Towns," and " Priest of User-n-Ka."

Between Sheikh Sa'id and Der el Gebrawi (where there are other
interesting tombs of the Ancient Kingdom, the copying and surveying
of which has also formed an important section of the past season's
work) are monuments of various periods which have been carefully
noted. On reference to the map (No. 2), it will be seen that
about five miles from the tombs of Sheikh Sa'id are the ruins of Tell
el Amarna. To the north-east, east, and south-east of these ruins are
three ranges of hills known to the Bedawin of the present day as the
Gebel et Til, the Gebel Abu Hasar, and the Gebel el Hawata.
Excavated in the western face of the north-eastern range is a series
of tombs made for, and elaborately ornamented with paintings, sculpture

c 2
loading ...