Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1893-1894

Seite: 9
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.10055.3
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.10055#0023
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Hieroglyphic Studies, &c.


Beneath some Ptolemaic pavement he found large fragments of three
limestone monoliths, originally about 13 feet high, carved into rude
representations of the local deity, and having some remarkable devices
of shells, animals, &c, cut upon them. These he attributes, with every
show of reason, to the prehistoric age. Some fragments of statues and
reliefs in pottery, a kind of work previously unknown, probably date
from the first three dynasties. The discovery of these extremely early
remains at Coptos was particularly satisfactory to Professor Petrie, as he
believed that the "dynastic Egyptians entered the Nile valley by the Kuser-
Koptos road/'* Theie were also portions of many interesting stelae of
all ages, sculptured slabs from the walls of a temple of Autef V., and a
decree of the same king deposing a nomarch and elevating a new family
to the princedom. Most of the portable objects discovered have been
temporarily exhibited at University College, London.

The excavations for the Egyptian Government, directed personally by
M. J. de Morgan, have again been extraordinarily successful. The scene
of operations has been the pyramid-field of Dahshur, where a number of
important mastaba-tombs of functionaries dating from the latter half of
the Xllth Dynasty have been found; a gallery under the largest brick
pyramid has been entered, and identified as the mausoleum of the royal
families of Usertesen II. and III., and Amenemhat III. ; and the tomb
of an almost unknown king, named Fu-ab-ra, has been discovered near
the south brick pyramid. The burial-chambers in the mausoleum had
been rifled, but two jewel-cases, full of precious trinkets of wonderful
interest, were found in the floor, having escaped the search of the
robbers. In the tomb of Fu-ab-ra was an ebony statue of the king over-
laid with gold, besides the gilt coffin, a gilt box for the statue, and
canopic vases.

Professors Sayce and MahafFy with Mr. Somers Clarke formed an ex-
ploring party in Xubia, from Philae to the second cataract. While the
two former copied Greek and hieroglyphic inscriptions, Mr. Clarke
naturally interested himself in the architectural problems presented by
the monuments. Professor MahafFy contributed some very interesting
" Notes from Nubia" to the Athenseum, and Professor Sayce, as in
previous winters, wrote " Letters from Egypt " to the Academy.f These
letters make mention of several new monuments, and we look forward

* Academy, May 19, 1894, " Discoveries at Koptos " : see also the Catalogue of a
collection of Antiquities from the temple of Koptos exhibited in the Edwards Library
at University College.

t Athen., Feb. 17, Mar. 17, Apr. 7. 28; Acad., Feb. 10,24, Mar. 17, Apr. 14, May 12.

loading ...