Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1899-1900

Seite: 14
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.11172.5
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.11172#0028
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1899_1900/0028
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
14

Progress of Egyptology.

models of food offerings made of cartonnage, small vases of green faience,
&c. Accounts of these excavations are to be published in the Annates du
Musee.

" Ohassinat has cleared the small temple of Isis at Dendereh.

" Barsanti has restored and protected from the weather the mastabas of
Shesha and Assa, north of the pyramid of Teta ; they had been excavated
by Loret.

" The tomb of Ptahhotep has been cleared and rendered accessible to
tourists ; it is provided with a lantern, and the use of candles will not be
permitted.

"At Zawyet el Aryan the galleries of the princesses (?) have been found
and thirty-two chambers cleared; all were empty. The couloir and a
chamber in the centre of the pyramid were also cleared without result; no
name, no coffin nor other small monument was found.

" Most of Barsanti's work, however, was spent on the ground near the
pyramid of Unas. On the N. and E. sides the pavement was found; on
the N. side several blocks of the outer casing (limestone); on the E. side
the chapel, almost entirely destroyed. On the S. side three huge wells were
found in a row, to the S. of each of them being a smaller well. At the
bottom of the larger wells (huge excavations like " Campbell's tomb") was a
chamber constructed of limestone blocks, the door being to the S., and
entered from the smaller well. One of these tombs, that of Psamtek, was of
especial interest as being unfinished. The walls of the chamber were
covered with pyramid texts, carved but left unpainted ; at various points
notes in black ink in demotic had been written by the overseer.
The base of the cbamber was nearly filled with a huge limestone coffin, in
size comparable to the sarcophagi of the bulls in the Serapeum. The lid
had not been let down, but stood supported on six little pillars built of
limestone blocks: between the tops of these and the lid traces of cloth
pads and wooden wedges were still to be seen. Inside the limestone
coffin lay another, of mummy shape, made of hard black stone. This was
the middle burial. To the E. was that of Pa-du-en-ast, similar but
finished ; and to the W. that of Tha-en-hebu. On the mummy of this was
found a valuable series of gold amulets of very minute work. All these
three burials were of the Saite period.

" The old galleries of the pyramid had been cut through in sinking
these wells ; nothing has as yet been found in them. The entrance, not
yet cleared, is at the N.-E. of the pyramid."
loading ...