Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1900-1901

Seite: 21
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12583.6
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12583#0035
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1900_1901/0035
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
Archaeology, Hieroglyphic Studies, Etc.

21

the men to continue satisfactory work under these circumstances any
longer, in a situation so exposed and so far from water. The ground
nearer the town was therefore not examined, though there are superficial
appearances of an extensive necropolis, which is probably that of This. It
is to be excavated this winter by funds partly subscribed. The Ashmolean
Museum also takes a practical interest in the undertaking."

Professor Sayce kindly contributes the following note on

Excavations at El Kab.

"Last February Mr. Somers Clarke and myself undertook some excavations
together at El Kab in the hope of determining the date of the great walls
of enceinte. We cleared away a portion of the sand that has drifted
against the southern side of the northern line of wall, and found from the
freshness of the lower tiers of bricks that it must have accumulated not
long after the wall was built. Our first discovery was a stair-way in
the thickness of the wall, which however terminated 4.50 m. above the
ground level, where there seem to have been a platform and ladder of wood.
At the foot of the wall was a layer of broken bricks, above which, and
close up against the wall, we found the remains of a charcoal fire and
fragments of a pot of yellow-red ware.

"The clearance of the sand disclosed a 'prehistoric' cemetery. All the
graves included in it were enclosed by curbs of crude brick rising about
half a foot above the ground level, and in some cases extending downwards
for a short distance as a lining of the sides of the grave. A similar curb
or low wall formed the northern boundary of the cemetery, 5 m. distant
from the foot of the great wall. The graves were of all sizes and forms
and thickly clustered together. One of them was covered by two slabs of
stone, immediately underneath which was a saucer of fine red polished
ware, and underneath that again fragments of Old Empire jars and bone.
In another grave we came across a bowl containing sheep's bones, and
below this, at a depth of 2.60 m., a passage lined with slabs of stone above
which other slabs were laid so as to form a roof. The slabs were uncut.
In the passage were a few human bones, and in the S.-E. corner a copper
mirror, a small alabaster vase, and three shells. A third grave was a
double one, on the N. and E. sides of which a large number of Old Empire
jars were found as well as terra-cotta tables of offerings, the rims of many
of which were ornamented with alternate splashes of black and white
paint. At a depth of .80 m. a dolichocephalic skull was lying on its left side
with the chin towards the west, while a heap of ' dismembered' bones was
loading ...