directly in the axis of the temple of Sety, and from the chapters of the
Book of the Bead, which were chosen for the decoration of the walls, it
appears to he a place huilt specially for the worship of Osiris. Its exact
connection with the temple had to he left undetermined, though, wherever
trial-pits were sunk between the South Chamber and the temple, buildings
were found, proving that it was of very large extent. It appears evident
that this great hypogeum is the same that Strabo describes as being under
the Memnonium ; the great roofing-stones, of which one remains in position,
struck him with much admiration."
For the following account of explorations at Naukratis and in the north
and north-west Delta, we are indebted to Mr. D. G-. Hogarth :—
" (1) With a grant from the Craven Fund of the University of Oxford,
Mr. D. G. Hogarth returned to Naukratis in April, 1903, in order to finish
certain parts of the site, not thoroughly explored in 1899. The results
were : (a) The large northern precinct was explored farther on the east and
north, thanks to a very dry season. Its great east wall was laid bare, and
a further series of chambers or shrines, containing dedications to the
' Gods of the Greeks,' to x\rtemis and to Aphrodite. Some fine native
pottery was found, including a new variety of ware with purplish ground
and white and yellow decorations of horsemen. A great deal of red figured
ware, ranging over a long period, was also found, tending to disprove any
great decline in Naukratite prosperity during the fifth or fourth centuries.
Among the dedications was one by a certain Herodotus in the second half
of the fifth century. A second relief of the sixth century was found, like
that of 1899.
" (h) The Egyptian character of the southern end of the site was con-
clusively proved, and the burnt area, noticed by Mr. Petrie, was found to
be very small. The existence of a Saite town, independent of the Greek
concession, is certain. The excavations in the region of Mr. Petrie's ' Great
Temenos' tended to raise considerable doubt whether there was any single
great precinct there at all, but not rather several small Egyptian temple
enclosures and public buildings within a ring of higher domestic structures.
The rest of the mounds was thoroughly searched and much pottery, &c,
recovered and brought to the Ashmolean Museum. The uncultivated part
of the site may now be considered worked out, and the only chance is that
large monuments may yet turn up in the irrigated lands, on the outskirts,
as did the Nectanebo stela in autumn, 1899.
" (2) Before and after this excavation Mr. Hogarth devoted several
weeks to exploring the North Delta, between the line of the Berari railway
and the sea. He visited all considerable sites in that area, east of the