Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1903-1904

Seite: 3
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12053.2
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12053#0016
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Excavations at Deir El-Bahari.


Accordingly our efforts were directed to the clearing of this platform from
above and of the facing wall from below. It was soon evident that
between this last and the Hathor-shrine of the great temple a simple
open court had always existed, with Xlth Dynasty tombs excavate in
it. The work of clearing this court was continued until, after the wall had
been uncovered, with its base, for a distance of 120 ft. in a westerly direc-
tion, it was brought to an end by the discovery ot a transverse wall
(PI. iii. fig. 6), of the same character as the platform-wall, running off at
a remarkably acute angle ("like the bows of a boat," as the workmen said)
N.E. to the Hathor-shrme and passing away under it (fig. 9). The Hathor-
shrine had been built over it. As the exploration proceeded, the platform-
wall became finer and more perfect until the point of junction with the
transverse wall was reached. Here, and for twenty feet or so on either side
of it, both walls are intact, with rounded coping-stones in place ; perfect
specimens of the stone-work of the Middle Empire, far superior to any of
the XYIIIth Dynasty work around. The general impression is similar to
that given by the massive stonework of the walls near the North Gate of
Knossos, but at Deir el-Bahari the masonry is better than at Knossos.

Behind the transverse wall the sloping rock-face, against which the
Hathor-shrine is reared, was found, and the court was thus completely
excavated. But the platform-wall passes on to the west beyond the point
of junction with the transverse wall, and there is more yet to be found in
this direction. In the court an Xlth Dynasty chamber-tomb was opened.
It had been violated under the XVIIIth Dynasty, but remains of the tomb-
furniture were found. In the middle of the court was uncovered a small
chamber of brick, measuring 6ft. by 5 ft., built on the surface of the gebel,
with a plaster flooring. This flooring was broken, and over it and
partly beneath it were found fragments of wooden statuettes and wooden
vase stands. It was probably the hut of a watchman or ghaftr stationed
here to guard the tombs in the court.

Simultaneously with the clearing of the top of the rock-platform the
eastern face of the presumably XVIIIth Dynasty wall joining the platform-
wall was cleared. The platform-wall was found to pass behind it east for
a few feet, and then to turn abruptly south. The rock-platform turned
south behind it. We had thus reached the eastern face of the platform.
On the following day (December 12th) a square pillar of grey sandstone,
sculptured with the name and titles of a king Mentuhetep with the hawk-
name Sam-taui, " TJuiter of the Two Lands," was found (PI. ii. fig. 3). This
was Nebkherura, the king to whom the block found by Mariette belonged.
There was no doubt that we had reached the Xlth Dynasty temple, and
loading ...