Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1903-1904

Seite: 7
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12053.2
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12053#0023
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Excavations at Deir El-Bahari.


6 ft. 6 in. In the pit was a disturbed secondary burial of the XXth
Dynasty or later. In the chamber, although it had of course been
violated, most of the funerary furniture, with the exception of the coffin,
was discovered practically intact. A model granary was found complete, with
its small wooden men ascending the stairs with sacks of grain which they
are throwing down into the sealed chambers of the granary through holes-
left for the purpose, while a scribe, seated in the court below, keeps tally
A second and larger model, not quite complete, is unique of its kind. It
represents a combined bakery and brewery. A line of women is hard at
work grinding the grain with heavy stone rollers, painted red to represent
red quartzite. A line of squatting men, facing the corn-grinders, sifts the
grain through sieves. Back to back with them are bakers squatting in
front of their tall black ovens, with their bakers' peels beside them, and a
line of brewers placing the bread in red vats to ferment in order to make the
beer. This fine model has been assigned to the British Museum, and is now
exhibited with other Xlth Dynasty models of the same kind in the Fourth
Egyptian Boom. The granary has gone to America. Portions of the
mummy were found, and are exhibited in the British Museum. It is that
of a woman. The feet and hands were small and delicate, the nails of the
latter dyed with henna. The remains of a bead necklace, and three silver
bangles and one odd one were found; one pair, and the odd one, being
hollow, with a curious toggle-joint. The odd one was retained by the
Cairo Museum as an unusual specimen, the complete pair, with the two
others, being ceded to the Fund. They are now exhibited with the other
objects from this tomb (with the exception of the granary) in the British
Museum. This may be quoted as an instance of the great liberality
which the authorities of the Service of Antiquities have shown towards
us, a liberality for which our hearty thanks are due to Professor Maspero
and Mr. Howard Carter, the Chief Inspector of Antiquities at Thebes.
The only other object retained was the copper chisel already referred to,
and this we were allowed to bring to England for exhibition. In retaining
it Mr. Carter was certainly well advised from the point- of view of the
Cairo Museum, as it is probably one of the finest specimens ever found in
Egypt. Its red patina is perfect, and is very beautiful.

This completes the tale of the actual remains found. Only the north-
eastern corner of the platform has as yet been uncovered; there is still
therefore, much important work to be done next season. A large column-
base and fragments of octagonal sandstone columns lying at the mouth
of a tomb in the cliffs, opened by the late Lord Dufferin many years
ago, probably belong to the western end of the temple. These columns
loading ...