Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1903-1904

Seite: 19
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12053.6
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12053#0035
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Archaeology, Hieroglyphic Studies, Etc.


compact little Egyptian Vocabulary for which we have to thank Professor

At Kamak M. Legrain's labours, which have contributed so much to the
solution of the problems encountered by Choisy, have been rewarded in an
unprecedented fashion by the discovery of a vast hoard of statues large
and small and of other votive objects of the most varied kinds and
materials, probably amounting in all to 10,000 objects. A summary list of
these by the discoverer will be found on page 25.

The effect of the new Anglo-French Convention with regard to the
Department of Antiquities appears to be to confirm the status quo. It had
been suggested from time to time that at some future date the practically
French administration of the department would come to an end and that the
Directorship would then be given to an Englishman; now the British
Government has definitely renounced any right it may have had to claim
the appointment of an Englishman as Director.

In the Annates du Service des Antiquites iv. 244 M. Maspero prints a
detailed report of the steps taken by the Service to protect the temples on
the island of Philae in the winter of 1902 immediately before the opening
of the dam, and of inspections and work done in the summer of 1903 after
the first lowering of the pent-up water. The work under ground was done
by the geologists and engineers employed by the Public Works Depart-
ment ; the Service des Antiquites reserved to itself the restoration of the
portions above ground, in the way of cleaning the sculptures, replacing
fallen blocks, strengthening weak places, &c, Sig. Barsanti, Mr. Carter, and
Mr. Lucas being employed here in 1902 after the underground works had
been completed. From their reports it seems that the island is partly
artificial, being formed by consolidating a series of rocky islets; in one part a
■considerable channel had existed between them, but the ground here shows
no sign of shifting. With the subsiding of the water the wall of the ruinous
temple of Eome and Augustus * at the north end of the island collapsed on
March 28th, 1903. Moreover, the boats on the reservoir are found to have
grazed the sculptures, and there is much disfiguring efflorescence and mossy
growth reported: happily the latter are found to be easily removable by
brushing with water. Altogether the ill effects of the first year's immersion
have been so slight that the inspectors and M. Maspero himself are hopeful of

* See Jahrbuch des Kens, deutschen Arehaeolog. Inst, xviii. 73 for a minute description
And restoration by Borchardt of the remains of this temple, built in classical stjle.
loading ...