difficulty, "in the course of six or seven weeks every inscribed document
iu the vast temple had been duly photographed and collated and filed
among our materials." At Amada especially, large clearances of rubbish
had to be made. In all seventeen temples, one tomb (Derr is accidentally
omitted from the report, Es-sebu'a was not, attempted), and a number of
rock-cut stelae were exhaustively copied, furnishing material for six or
perhaps seven volumes. It is intended to continue the work next season
southward. This undertaking and its results are worthy of the talents and
energy of the Chicago Professor.
Wady Halfa. Scott-Moncrieff publishes a fine basalt figure of
Sebekemheb found by him with stelae, etc., in a vaulted brick chamber ;
and a strange rude seated figure in painted limestone, found above the last
with two Meroitic ostraea. All these objects are destined for the Museum
in the Gordon College, Khartum. P. S. H. A. xxviii. 118.
Aswan. Lady Wm. Cecil describes tombs excavated in 1901, with
late inscriptions from coffins. Ann. vi. 273.
Hieracoxpolis. Note upon excavations in 1901-5, with photographs
of burials, etc. Garstang, Man, 1905, No. 79.
El Kab. lieports by Sayce, Greex, and Somers Clarke of their
excavations in 1901, 1902 and 1904: the finds included granite remains
with the name of Khasekhemui, and many graves of the early period.
The explorers believe that the great wall, which was found to have been
carried over a part of the old town, is not later than the Xllth Dynasty.
Ann. vi. 239.
Ed Dee (on the east bank opposite Esneh). A plundered Middle
Kingdom cemetery and a grave of the XYIIIth Dynasty, remarkable for
containing cones of a priest of Ilathor in A gen. Sayce, Ann. vi.
Thebes, West Bunk. Carter reports repairs in the tomb of Seti I.;
and the excavation of the tombs of Merneptah (with photographs of the
sarcophagus, etc.), of Queen Hatshepsut, and of Sety II. Ann. vi. 112.
Mr. T. M. Davis has published a fine memoir, The Tomb of Queen
Hutxliojisttu, on the excavation of the tomb of Hatshepsut. The
gallery, which is of extraordinary length (170 metres), was curved and
carried downwards in the search for good rock, which, however, was not
reached ; the tomb in consequence was left rough and fell into ruin.
The chief finds are a very interesting foundation deposit outside the
entrance, the sarcophagus of Hatshepsut in the sepulchral chamber, and
another sarcophagus which she made for her father's mummy : the latter
was no doubt removed thither from his own tomb and remained there till