Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1906-1907

Seite: 75
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12424.7
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12424#0089
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Christian Egypt.


of the latter class are but plain, square buildings with cupolas, resembling
the modern tombs. Of the plates, no. iv probably shows ' Zacharias, the
faithful priest,' in elaborate costume ; no. xi a nun, ' the mother of the
monastery.' On p. 7 is a dated inscription (Moslim era); on p. 11 the
names of Job's comforters, and on p. 19 those of the prophets; p. 13, a
painter had been brought from the Jeremias monastery (? at Sakkarah);
p. 18, the strange name 'Apa Samarites' again (v. Cledat, Baouit
pi. xxix.).

In the past season Petrie explored the ruins of two Coptic monasteries
at Balaizah and Ganadlah, S.W. of Abutig.60 There are, he says, many such
ruined sites in that district, each consisting of an ancient cave (the chapel)
with partition walls, while additional buildings protrude outside. At the
former site, a find of Coptic MSS. was made, whereof a description, by Crum,
may have appeared (in Petrie's 2nd volume) before this Report is published.
From these and from incidental coins, it seems that the monastery, which
was that of Apa Apollo, flourished till the 8th century; but many of the
MSS. are far older. From them it has further been possible to identify the
town Sbeht (now Kom Esfaht) with one of the ancient Lower (or Lesser)
Apollinopolises. The plates of Petrie's first volume reproduce some
interesting fragments of sculpture, a remarkable engraved (liturgical ?)
knife, a bronze hanging lamp, identical in form with those in enamelled
glass of the 14th century, and 7 Coptic stelae, showing some rare place-
names. ' .

A small convent has been traced by Barsanti,61 in ruins at Zawiyet el-
' Aryan, S. of Gizeh.

G-ayet has been again occupied at Antinoe; but it is difficult, from the
only account available,62 to distinguish the results of this season's work.
Three ruined monasteries, with surrounding cemeteries, are spoken of.
But it is not clear that they were among the recent discoveries. The
majority of the finds were pagan.

In the last Report, p. 73, Crum suggested that certain stelae indicated the
site of the Henaton. Breccia has in consequence made investigations, but
without finding anything conclusive, though enough to testify to Christian
buildings.63 The neighbouring names, Kom ez-Zugag and Kom el-IIanatun,
however look significant.

Quibell describes64 the frescoes in a small hewn chapel, in the cliff at ■
Gurnah, presumably the resort of an anchorite.

Quibell is at present engaged upon the site of a monastery, near
Sakkarah, which, to judge from the incidental inscriptions, should be that
—well-known, but hitherto unidentified—of Apa Jeremias, and in which
loading ...