Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1907-1908

Seite: 22
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12423.2
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12423#0032
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1907_1908/0032
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
22

Peogeess of Egyptology.

Ne-user-Re, on these miscellaneous finds, founded on plans, photographs
and notes of the explorers, and on the objects discovered. Mastabas and
graves of the Old Kingdom filled the courts of the Vth Dynasty mastabas
connected with the pyramid and the passages between them. Middle
Kingdom graves were numerous, and yielded interesting sarcophagi and
other relics. The New Kingdom, however, is not represented, and thereafter
only poor graves occur from 1000 b.c. onwards. Hut-ruins yielded
remarkable finds in the way of the plume-holder of a Greek helmet and a
collection of agricultural and other implements. Dr. Von Luschan
describes four skulls of the Middle Kingdom. Schweinfurth describes
the plant remains found in a great heap of Emmer-corn (Tritimm dicoccum)
which filled two graves of the Middle Kingdom, remarking that weeds
were as rare in the Egyptian cornfields 4000 years ago as they are now.
Of special interest to Egyptologists are the remarks on the identity of
Mimusops Schimperi with the persea tree. Finally, Schafer's excellent
article on Egyptian ploughs and other agricultural implements is reprinted
in this memoir from the Annual of the British School at Athens, vol. x.

The work of the Deutsche Orient-Gesellschaft during last season is
reported by Boeohaedt in Mitth. B. Or. Ges. no. 37. It will be recollected
that trial excavations in the previous season at Tell el Amarna had given
good results, and that at Abusir the gateway of the temple of Sahure had
been cleared, yielding fine sculptures. The programme for last season was
therefore to finish the pyramid-temple, and then proceed to Tell el
Amarna: but so rich was the harvest at the former site, that the whole of
an exceptionally long season was occupied with it, and a staff of eight
German Egyptologists, architects and draughtsmen employed, with 600
labourers; El Amarna is therefore reserved for the coming winter. The
temple of Sahure was expected to show an interesting plan, because its
designer had perfectly clear ground to utilise. The temple proved to have
been occupied as a quarry for lime and granite, but fragments of the walls
were still standing, and most of the columns and many sculptured blocks
lay where they had fallen. Palm-columns, papyrus columns, and plain
columns with square abaci were found. In the front part of the temple
the sculptures related to military and naval expeditions; one series of
fragments concerned a war in Libya, another an Asiatic expedition.
About the sanctuary the scenes represented the king among the gods; but
among the stone chambers on either side of it are the ordinary tomb-scenes
—hunting, fishing, slaughter of cattle, bringing of offerings, etc. A
surprising discovery was a primitive drain of hammered copper tubes laid
in a groove and running for 400 metres from the sanctuary to the gate,
loading ...