Peogeess of Egyptology.
Coptic stelae, on the other hand, in so far as they have reached the Cairo
Museum since Crum's Catalogue, are edited by Biondi.05 They number
over eighty and show many points of interest. Several (nos. 23-27) must
be due to the great monastery of Jeremias at Sakkara. No. 31 is another
of the marble stelae with Bohairic text which need special investigation.
Those from Aswan (47 &c.) show the formula, peculiar, it seems, to the
south: ' God of spirits and of all flesh' (v. Report 1904-5, 61).
Steindoeff publishes the grave-stone of an 11th century bishop, Jesu,
of Zae (now Sai), in Nubia.00 Budge had depicted the same stone in his
History of the Soudan.07
Tueaef has collected and edited several interesting texts,08 none of
which is without obscure points. (1) A 6th-7th century letter; (2) a
semi-Achmimic imprecation (cf. that in Acg. Z. xxxiv, 85) the script
strongly recalling Brit. Mus. Gated., pi. 12, no. 1224, the form of gima
being quite peculiar; (3) stele with obscure place-names and (4) another,
mentioning a monastic hospital, cf. Cairo, no. 8499. Von Lemm has
suggested plausible emendations to the first of these.09
The British Museum has recently acquired a large number of Greek
and Coptic papyri, quite unparalleled in their close relationship of place,
date, and persons. All come from Jkow (now Kom Ishkaw), which the
Greeks called Aphrodito; all date from the years 707-711 or there-
abouts and all relate to the same group of persons—the Moslem governor,
writing from Fustat, the local officials, pagarch, and village representatives.
The corresponding Arabic papyri have already been published by C. H.
Becker. This is not the place for enlarging upon the importance of these
documents for Byzantine and early Moslem history. The Coptic texts,
to be edited by Cruni, form the counterpart of the Greek ones, now in course
of publication by H. I. Bell; the former consist of the response of the local
authorities to the requirements of the central government, as embodied in
the Greek and Arabic letters. The collection throws new light upon all
sides of Coptic village life—the various burdens in taxes, supply of sailors,
artizans &c, the topography, proper-names. Ecclesiastical affairs of course
are scarcely illustrated. A preliminary description of the Greek texts,
with discussions of many interesting problems, has been given by Bell.70
Among the Greek papyri at Strassburg, edited by Peeisigke,71 are a set
of 6th century deeds of surety, wherein the guarantor undertakes to
produce his man where required—but not in the sacred premises, (before)
the deloi xapa/cTripes (which P. takes for images of the saints) nor on
Sundays or holidays. This would seem to illustrate the church's adoption
and extension of the ancient right of asylum.