Egypt Exploration Fund.
tions in the " Island of Meroë," and this, added to the other materials, will
swell the bulk of the Survey publication to two volumes.
F. Ll. Griffith.
C—THE GRAECO-ROMAN BRANOH.
For the season 1909-10 the Graeco-Roman Branch was given the
concession of the sites on the West Bank of the Nile between Behnesa and
Sidmant el-Gebel, inclusive of the latter. We commencée! work on the
Ptolemaic cemetery at Gamhût on November Gth, having arrived there
the previous day. This site had been worked by Smolenski and Ahmed
Bey Kamal during the seasons 1906-7 and 1907-8 ; but there was still a
good patch unexcavated. Unfortunately it had been terribly plundered
by thieves during the last twelve days of Bamadân, just before our
arrivai. We found the cemetery a mass of tunibled bodies, sraashed
coffins and bits of papyrus cartonnage. If the place had been properly
guarded we should have obtained a fine harvest of cartonnage ; though, to
judge from what we afterwards found, the majority of documents would
have been in Demotic and not Greek. ïhis previous plundering rendered
scientific digging very difficult, and after working for a week in the
Btolemaic cemetery and vainly searching ail around in the hope of
another similar cemetery, we decided there was nothing more to be
The results of the Gamhût excavations were two small boxes of
broken papyrus cartonnages—mostly Dernotic—and some twenty or
more cartonnages in cloth and stucco. Some of the latter are quite
On November 13th we moved to Mayâna, where Mr. ISlackinan had
found what seemed a likely site opposite the mounds of Ehnâsiya
el-Medîna. From the 14th to the 18th we thoroughly explored this and
the.surrounding areas. But despite quantifies of Btolemaic and Eoman
pot-sherds, the site produced none but Middle-Kingdom and Eew-Ivingelom
graves. On the high ground two New-Kingdom tombs were opened.
They were of the usual style ; a deep shaft with a chamber on the east
and west sides. Both tombs had been anciently plundered, but the east
chamber in one tomb contained two bodies still in position. They lay
with heads to the west and were wrapped each in a mat. The bodies
showed no trace of embalming and were swathed in coarse linen bandages.