Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1909-1910

Seite: 20
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12422.7
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12422#0034
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1909_1910/0034
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
20

Progress of Egyptology.

and its clearing had been undertaken by the expédition because of its
importance as the only architectural monument of the period between the
decay of the Theban Kingdom and the conquest of Alexander the Great,
which exists to-day in good préservation.

" Prof. Maspero assigned M. Emile Baraize, an engineer of the Service,
to the task of consolidating and restoring the temple at the expense of the
Egyptian Government while it was being cleared by the expédition. The
collatiug of previously published copies of the temple hieroglyphic inscrip-
tions with the originals and copying of inscriptions and scènes which hâve
not been published heretofore, or which bave only been brought to light
during the past winter, was started by Mr. X. de G. Davies of the expédition.
In connection with and supplementing the Davies copies Herr Friedrich
Kocn lias begun a séries of photographs which it is hoped will be finished
during the coming season, and which is intended to be a complète record of ail
the reliefs and inscriptions in the temple. The Greek decrees mentioned
in the expedition's last report of the Bulletin as well as some new decrees,
shorter inscriptions and graffiti found this year, have been copied and are
being prepared for publication by Mr. H. G. Evelyn-White, while the
plans and architectural drawings are being donc by Mr. William J. Jones,
both of whom are members of the expédition.

" The field work in the oasis began the lst of December. As the
temple is situated in the midst of the peasants' farms, negotiations with
the landowners took up a great deal of time throughout the winter, and
their ultimate solution was almost entirely due to M. Baraize. Eventually
an arrangement was made by which the expédition was able to dump into
a low sait marsh at the foot of the temple hill, and in exchange for this
filling and improvement of thoir lands, the owners gave up some of the
land about the eastern gateways where it was désirable to dig; but
meanwhile, about the middle of December, a preliminary agreement had
been arrived at, a light railway was installed similar to that which has
been in use at Lisht, and the excavations were begun at the portai of
Darius and pushed westward. The hypostyle hall was choked with fallen
drums, architraves and roof blocks. The columns can be restored entire,
but the roof blocks for the most part are too much shattered to be used
again.

" The exterior of the temple was also cleared, and two side-openin"s
into the offering hall were found by which the chambers in the back of
the temple could be entered and cleared while the hypostyle was still
blocked. The excavations on both sides of the temple were carried on by
means of the railway down to the ancient surface level. An area to the
loading ...