Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1909-1910

Seite: 21
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12422.7
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12422#0035
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
Arciiaeology, Hieiîogia'phic Studies, Etc.


north of over one thousand square mètres was dug in this way to a depth
of two or three mètres, and sounding trenches were sunk belowthe ancient
surface to bed rock. On the west the work had to be stopped within ten
mètres of the temple wall ; but on the south, where the cultivation did not
approach the temple so closely, a much larger area covering about three
thousand square mètres was cleared. The work at this point was extended
early in February to a moiind rising on the edge of the cultivation where
traces of buildings had been found on the surface. The greater part of the
rest of the season was spent in exploring the network of mud-brick walls
uncovered here. At the end of the work some modem structures were
removed from among the eastern gateways, but no other attempt to
excavate in the palm grove here lias yet been made. The work in the
tield was brought to a close on the lst of May.

" The consolidation and restoration of the temple by M. Baiîaize was
begun about the middle of January and continued to the end of the season.
A great deal of this time was spent in replacing with new masonry the
stones in the lower courses which. had been eaten away by the moisture
and salts in the soil in which they had been buried, in order to make the
walls capable of sustaining their own weight after they were exposed. In
the case of one partly fallen column in the hypostylë hall, this opération
necessitated the taking down of the standing courses and the complète
renewal of the foundations. In addition a great deal of the fallen
structure recovered in the clearing was restored to its original positions.
In the hypostylë two of the six fallen columns were set up again and
some parts of the screen-wall and columns of the offering hall ; a great
mauy blocks of the fallen cornice from the exterior and some of the
frieze at the top of the walls inside the temple were replaced, and the
greater part of the west wall of the temple was rebuilt from the bottom
courses to its original height, such of the blocks as were missing being
replaced with new masonry. The restoration is to be continued next year
in conjunction with the further excavation.

" The clearing and rebuilding of the Temple of Hibis bas disclosed new
features in the plan and décoration, including some interesting reliefs
which have been brou"ht to lient on walls heretofore buried. One shows


the king Darius, in a boat, picking papyrus flowers to offer to the god
Min, and another of the god Sutekh, the popular deity of the oases, slaying
the Serpent of Evil. In the ruins of the portico of Nectanebo there was
found, besides the complète columns from the north and south rows which
are to be re-erected, an isolated capital of elaborate papyrus-flower form in
excellent préservation with its colouring almost intact.
loading ...