Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1909-1910

Seite: 24
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12422.7
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12422#0038
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1909_1910/0038
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
24

Progress of Egyptology.

famous statues of Chephren, was buriecl in 30 feet of rubbish, but now
stands free as the most complète temple existing of the Olcl Empire. The
jambs of the main entrance are inscribed, and perhaps the architraves also
were inscribed ; the rest was plain, but the grandeur of the architecture
must make it a place of pilgrimage during the coming winter. Fragments
of statues, vases and inscribed mace-heads were found. Besicles the work
at the temple, the chambers of tlie mastaba of Seshem-nofer of the Vth
Dynasty were cleared,and the fine coloured sculptures removed toEurope.
At Abusir a necropolis of the beginning of the Old Empire was excavated
yielding graves of two types with contracted bodies, and abundant small
objects, with some burials of the New Kingdom and later date. The work
was done by Dr. Holsciieiî, Iîerr schultze and Dr. Abel. (Leipz. Zeitung,
3 June, 1910.)

h. Mémoire and Reports.

Lower Nubia. Professors schaefer and JuNKER report on tlie
Mission of the Berlin Academy to record the inscriptions of the temples
endangered by the Philae dam. In the first season (August, 1908, to
January, 1909), Sciiaefer, Jonker, and the photographer Kocii spent a
liundred days on Philae until they were driven off by the rising water ;
tliey then proceeded up the river to Wady Halfa and Gemmai beyond the
Second Cataract, their object in thèse higher régions being cspecially to
copy the Christian Nubian and Meroitic inscriptions. In the second
season (August to December, 1909) Junkee, Kocii and Capt. TlMME
completed the work at Philae.

The results of the two expéditions are that the whole of the hieroglyphic
inscriptions and scènes of the temples of Philae were photographed on a
large scale, also those of Biga, Debôd, Kalabsha, Dendûr, Dakka,
Maharraga, and part of Es-Sabû' : in ail about 2,000 négatives. Scpieezes
were also taken of ail except the last two temples and some coloured
portions of Kalabsha which will remain ont of the water. Hand copies
too were taken wliere necessary. This complétée! the first object of the
expéditions.

Such time as could be spared was devoted to the secondary objects—
Greek graffiti, demotic graffiti (scpieezes were taken of practically ail the
incisée! graffiti, and most were photographed, together with a few of those
written in ink). The Meroitic inscriptions were photographed and
scpieezed and the Christian Nubian inscriptions photographed. The
modem ISTubian dialects were studied, in particular the Kenûsi, stories
illustrating manners and customs were collectée!, and translations
loading ...