Eashepses and Kaemthenent from their mastabas, and a great granité
stela of Nekhtharheb recording his building of a temple for the liviug
Apis found in the monastery itself. A puzzling scrap is an ostracon
which may possibly préserve a spécimen of the language of the
Memphis. In the Season 1908-9 the British School cleared the top of
the palace mound at Memphis, laying bare the brick walls with huge
limestone columns and remains of the palace of Apries. A large number
of sculptured blocks in the fosse were found to have composed a pylon
which Prof. Pétrie attributes to the Xllth E»yn. on account of the
fineness of the sculpture, but unfortunately no historical name is upon it.
The scènes are those of the Sed-festival. There were many smaller finds,
including a fragment of limestone with a date in Aramaic scvatched upon
it. Dr. Walker contributes a chapter on the inscriptions. Pétrie, The
Palace of Aigries (Memphis II.).
Juxker reports to the Academy on his excavation of an early cemetery
at Tûra, in which the graves and the finds were duly recorded with the
help of the photographer KOCH. Tlie most interesting individual pièce
was a vase inscribed with the name of the Scorpion king, and a second
name T and title as king of Upper Egypt only. This title, being
characteristic of the Scorpion king, and the style of the inscription seem
to prove that he dates from before the time of Menés. Anzeiger of Vienna
Acad. 1 June, 1910.
Giza. In a preliminary report on the excavation of the principal
temple of the Second Pyramid by the Sieglin Expédition in 1908-9
Hôlsciier and Steindorff state that the plan of the temple was almost
entirely recoverable : the limestone kernel of some of the walls remains,
and they had evidently been entirely encased with granité, but no signs
of sculpture were found except that there were probably inscriptions on
the architraves and door-jambs. A drain was found, and the top of the
passage which led to the secondary temple in the valley, the so-called
Temple of the Sphinx. In late times the temple was used as a quarry and
even sculptors had a workshop there. A.Z. xlvi. 1.
A tomb of one Khamerernebti (?), who appears to have been the mother
of Chefren, near the Great Sphinx, with a very remarkable statue found on
it, and other remains are described by Daressy. Ann. x. 41.
Tell el-Maskhûta. The excavations of M. Clédat resulted in the
discovery of a number of objects of the Saïte epoch and two of the Old
Kingdom. One of thèse is very fragmentary, made of schist and very early,
the other a fine cylinder of blue paste for an officiai of Merenre and Nefer-