Egypt Exploration Fund [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1910-1911

Seite: 2
DOI Artikel: DOI Seite: Zitierlink:
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
1 cm

Egypt Exploration Eund.

The clearing of the space towards the tomb of Perabsen and on the
eastern side of the mound did not reveal any new tomb. Throughout the
work we had small gangs of men on the outskirts of the mound, pitting
and trenching in all directions. We always made a point of reaching the
virgin gebel, an undisturbed geological deposit. During several days a gang
of men drove a trench through a mound to the south of Omm el Gaab,
nearer the mountain, which was covered with fragments of pots. We also
made an excavation close to the mountain at the foot of a huge block on
which were remains of a few hieroglyphic signs. None of these places
seems to have been connected with the group of funerary monuments at
Omm el Gaab.

At present we believe that the only work which might be clone on this
mound would be to empty completely the chambers of the tombs of Den
and Khasekhemui, where fragments and small objects may have been left
in the rubbish.

Two inscribed potsherds were found on the mound, giving the names of
one of the Psusennes (XXIst Dynasty) and of Osorkon I. (XXIInd

Ed. Xaville.

The Well.

The constructions connected with the well were first discovered in March
1909 when, near the Eund house, a long sloping cutting was found
excavated in the soft rock. This passage is rather less than 5 metres
in width and descends in three long steps. Its length is about 30 metres.
At the end it opens out into a much more spacious excavation which
proves to be a rectangular pit about 31 by 28 metres in extent, oriented
approximately JST.W.-S.E. Around the top of this pit, and usually at a
distance of less than a metre from the actual cutting, had been built a
good wall of mud brick, serving to hold back the sand (PI. II. fig/ 1).
The wall is inked in on the plan (PI. IV.) and the edge of the cutting is
marked 1st level of rock.

In the centre of the rectangle lay the well (PI. II. fig. 2), circular in form
with a diameter of 6*80 m. We removed the sand to a depth of some five
metres (PI. II. fig. 3), and there found that the circular mud-brick wall gave
place to one of slightly smaller diameter made of quite rough pieces of local
limestone set without mortar. This had clearly been concealed by a facing
of finely-cut and perfectly bonded limestone blocks (PI. II. fig. 4), of which
loading ...