Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1910-1911

Seite: 54
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12421.6
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12421#0066
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen

Pkogress of Egyptology.

to 48 texts, mostly short. It cannot be said that they are of special
interest, but it was worth while to have them published by a competent
hand. Most are from Hermopolis or the Fayum, and they include the
usual categories of administrative and contractual documents. It may be
mentioned here that Dr. Preisigke has in hand two publications which
will save much trouble to students of papyri in future. One is a collection
of corrections in the texts of published papyri (so far as these corrections
appear to be acceptable); the other is a corpus of non-literary papyri,
collected from scattered periodicals.

The newly established " Societa Italiana per la ricerca dei papiri greci
in Egitto " has obtained the reversion of the site of Oxyrhynchus since the
Egypt Exploration Fund retired from it. The results of their explorations
show that this extremely rich site is not even yet exhausted. A volume
is in preparation which will contain several interesting theological and
classical texts in addition to the usual non-literary documents. Meanwhile
a gustatio has been provided in the shape of a pamphlet10 containing
five texts, of which the first three come from Oxyrhynchus :—(1) part of
the Acts of the Martyrdom of St. Cristina (assigned to the fifth century,
but perhaps rather of the sixth); (2) a fragment of the Second Verrine;
(3) a few lines of Virgil {Ami. iv, 66-68, 99-102); (4) a lease of land in
the Hermopolite nome; (5) a magical text, consisting of 62 long lines,
inscribed on lead. Facsimiles are given of all except the last.

One part of the Berlin GriecJiische Urlatnden11 has appeared, completing
(except for the indices) the fourth volume of this important series. This
part, like the four which have preceded it, is concerned with the
documents from Alexandria recovered from the papyrus-cartonnages from
Abusir (see no. 17 of last year's Eeport). The texts here published,
nineteen in number, are of the same character and the same date (end of
the first century b.c.) as those previously published; Dr. Schubart adds
brief descriptions of nineteen more, which presumably complete tins group
of documents.

One Berlin papyrus12 is published separately by F. Zucker, with the
collaboration of Wilamowitz. This is of special interest, since it contains
copies of two proclamations issued by Germanicus during his celebrated
tour in Egypt. Both bear testimony to his desire to render his tour
inoffensive to all whom it might concern, for the first forbids the
compulsory requisitioning of beasts of burden for his reception, and the
second deprecates the application to him of divine titles of honour, which
belong only to his (adoptive) father and grandmother (Tiberius and Livia).
Dr. Zucker adds an elaborate verbal commentary, and Prof. Wilamowitz
loading ...