Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1910-1911

Seite: 74
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12421.7
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12421#0086
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1910_1911/0086
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
74

Progress of Egyptology.

W. accuses S. of wishing to refer everything to an Eastern original, whereas
S. complains that W.'s horizon is bounded by Eome and Eome alone.

At Meroe hardly anything Christian was obtained, the kingdom having
apparently been destroyed before the introduction of Christianity into the
country. Only in the case of one building, the Keniseh or Temple of Isis,
did Garstang discover evidence 113 of re-use in Christian times.

A new and most valuable field of study has been opened up by
G-. S. Mileham's investigation114 of Churches in Lower Nubia. Besides a
careful and minute description of the remains themselves, an introduction
dealing with the general plan of Church construction in Nubia is supplied.
Mr. Crum has given readings and translations of the few Coptic remains
that were found; there appears to have been nothing in Nubian. The
illustrations are copious, and the whole book attractive; it is a pity that
this Philadelphian press should not possess a fount of Coptic type.

The cemetery at Karanog excavated by Woolley and Eandall-Maciveb
was pre-Christian; but a chapter115 on the Blemyes and the Eoman frontier
mentions their relations with Shenoute and their conquest by Maximinus.

In the archaeological survey110 of Nubia, G-. A. Eeisner describes
several Christian cemeteries, as well as a small church at Shellal. To
vol. IT. H. W. Beckett contributes a most valuable summary (with
bibliography) of the whole literature relating to the history of Nubia.

9. Miscellaneous.—Crum's Catalogue of the Eylands Coptic MSS.
(v. Report 1908-09, 69) is reviewed117 by Shegelberg, who comments
both on the importance of the collection and on the extreme difficulty of the
task so skilfully performed by C, whom he places at the head of Coptic
scholarship of to-day. A review by Eaiilfs118 has also appeared, as well
as one by E. B[eeters],119 which should have been mentioned in last year's
Report.

The British Museum1191 has received from Mr. Martyn Kennard a
collection of about 150 Coptic papyrus fragments, mostly biblical
(St. John's Gospel) and patristic. These were copied long ago by A. des
Eivieres (copies now at Munich), and have since lain perdus. They
probably all come from a Theban monastery.

Delaporte continues120 his summary catalogue of the Earis Coptic MSS.
(v. last Report, 65). He concludes the Katameros and begins upon the
more strictly liturgical books; he is at present dealing with the
Anaphorae.

E. Griveau completes rn his description of the recent acquisitions of
Christian Arabic MSS. by the Bibliotheque Nationale (v. last Report, 61)
by an alphabetical index of authors and anonymous works.
loading ...