Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1911-1912

Seite: 22
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12419.6
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12419#0042
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
22 Progress of Egyptology.

head, which he considers may have come from the spoils of Philae. This
has since been acquired for the British Museum. The report is illustrated
with plans and photographs. Liverpool Annals, iv. 45.

The third report (1911-12) details the continuation of the work, first
on the surface buildings in the enclosure of the royal quarter, and then on
a bath at a lower level containing a swimming tank ornamented with rude
sculptures of Hellenistic style and fed by ducts apparently from a well.
ib. v. 73.

Wadi Halfa. Woolley and Eandall-MacIver have published in
Buhen the account of their excavations about the temples and tombs of
the ancient Boon. The southern temple was built by Hatshepsut and
Tethmosis III. on the site of a temple of the Xllth Dynasty; the northern
was re-founded by Amenhotp II. The scenes and inscriptions of both
are edited with the help of Blackman. The interesting fortifications, and
the tomb of the Middle Kingdom, XVII Ith Dynasty, and a few of the
Meroitic period finds are described with all scientific detail, and a
special volume illustrates the text, containing 100 photographic plates,
plans, etc.

Faras. The work of the Oxford excavations here was continued by
Griffith and Woolley. The Meroitic cemetery was further investi-
gated, yielding amongst a great variety of objects a few specimens of
enamelled jewellery. A good find of Meroitic ostraca was made in a
building on the edge of the desert. Here also was an Egyptian cemetery
of Protodynastic age, with fine variegated haematitic pottery (like that
found in Mr. Firth's excavations for the Government Survey further
north), and a native " C-group" cemetery with tall monolithic stelae.
The foundations were laid bare of a temple of Hathor of Abshek with
purely Egyptian votive offerings. The lofty enclosing wall of the town
appeared to be of Christian age, at which time Pachoras was capital of the
northern province of Nubia, and was full of churches. The periods repre-
sented at Faras and the remarkable gaps in the archaeological record are
nearly the same as elsewhere in Lower Nubia. In the coming winter the
exploration of the vast site of Napata, capital of the Ethiopian empire,
will begin. (Guide to the Exhibition of Antiquities at Oxford.)

Aniba. Steindorff excavated from January to April, 1912, in a Proto-
dynastic and C-group cemetery and in the Egyptian cemetery of the New
Kingdom, making very interesting finds in each. The remarkable ruins
of the Meroitic brick castle of Karanog and the antiquities found in the
surrounding town remains are described by Woolley in a memoir in the
Philadelphia series entitled Karanog, the Town. The Philadelphia pub-
loading ...