Peogeess of Egyptology.
the suggestion that it represents a mounted saint (cf. the figure in Budge's
Nubian Texts) or a late Horus ought also to be considered. Plate xcvii
and xcix show Coptic inscriptions.
Prom a private collection at Edfou, Maspeeo copies 162 four Coptic steles.
He notes the curious dialectical hen for mn, and the form kahci (= kah,
" earth"), which seems to show Bohairic influence. Another163 grave-
inscription from Kalabsheh is, as he states, without importance in itself,
but we know so little of Christianity as far south as this that any evidence
from such a date (6th or 7th century) is of value.
A very full article164 by H. Leclebcq on the monastery of St. Jeremias
at Saqqarah (s.v. Chaqqara) gives all that is to be known about it until
Quibell's next volume appears. There are elaborate plans and illustrations,
including a coloured portrait of the Saint, which is one of the best monu-
ments of Coptic art existing, and a selection from the plentiful epigraphy.
Among a considerable number of Coptic grave-stones added 165 to the
Egyptian department of the British Museum during the year are twelve
from this monastery; most of them are inscribed, and commemorate
monks and priests of the house.
The Oxford excavators in Nubia, working under Geiffith, have made
plans of several new churches at Earas and have copied some frescoes; in
conjunction with Edwin Feeshfield they have fully recorded a curious
small church at the Second Cataract with interesting frescoes, which F.
hopes to publish before long. Evidence has been found that the chief
MSS. known in Old Nubian were written for the churches in East Serra.
A review 166 of Mileham's Nubian Churches and of the Woolley-Maciver
Karanog (v. last Report, 74), by F. Ll. G[eiffith] insists that to
archaeologists in general the point of interest is the revelation of a strongly
negroid people adopting and improving on the fictile arts of the Graeco-
Ttoman world. He also praises Mileham's valuable beginning of a study
of the Christian monuments of the Nubian kingdom.
A description167 of the Coptic monasteries, as they now exist, in the
Nitrian desert, is abstracted from the Bulletin of an expedition sent there
by the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York. The complete account
is due to W. j. Jones, whose excellent plans and pictures (which are said,
to be much the best yet done of these monasteries) in the Bulletin of the
Museum for February 1911 and May 1912,1 have not yet been able to see.
9. Miscellaneous.—General reviews of work lately done in Coptic studies
are provided by Michelangelo Guidi 168 and by Tueaiev.169
Delapoete continues170 (v, last Report, 74) his summary catalogue of
the Paris Coptic MSS. He describes the Theotokias and books of hymns,