Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 5.1886-1890

Seite: 46
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1886_1890/0060
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
46

REPORT OF EXCAVATIONS IN IKARIA.

long was run west from the end of the peribolos-wall without finding
anything. On the upper level were disclosed the walls L, M, N, 0, and
the seats at K. Two days were devoted to work on a second site,
about half a mile x. w. from the principal excavations, near the road,
where a column with its drums strewn on the ground, and a portion
of a wall seemed to invite investigation (see plan ii). At the end of
the column were found fragments of a large marble vase {Fig. 10),
and near these the heads and necks of three griffins {Fig. 11). '

On the week beginning Monday, March 12, one day was given up
to the thorough clearing out of the little enclosure in the locality just
referred to, but the remainder of the time was spent on the principal
site, in laying bare the whole of the Pythion and the structure 6 ; so
that all the outlines can be made out (plate vi). This completed
our work for the spring of 1888.

On November 13, work was resumed with the object of clearing away
the large mass of soil between the Pythion and the two bases on the
lower level. Last spring, a trench was cut here down to virgin soil,
without revealing anything, but it seemed advisable to clear out the
whole mass, in order to leave no possibility untested. The results were
of less importance than those previously attained, but were still of value,
especially when we remember that every stone in situ is of the greatest
moment in making out any general plan. South of the base B were
found two smaller bases for votive offerings. The wall 0, Avhich
seemed last spring to belong to some building, was found to extend both
•ways for a short distance, then to diverge at each end for about two
meters, and there stop. This wall is thus shown to be of entirely
different character from what had been supposed. The sculptural finds
in this part of the excavations consisted of a haunch of a lion or griffin
and a male portrait-head of the Roman period. An overhauling of the
debris to the southeast of the apse yielded a few fragments which had
been overlooked last year, one of these of great importance, namely,
the left thigh of the archaic draped torso, proving that it was a seated
statue. To the north of wall E there was found last year a platform
of rather rough stones laid close together. It was our intention to follow
out this platform this year, and discover, if possible, what it was. For
this purpose a passage was cut along the wall be of D in order that the
workmen might have an easy exit. About half-way between the two
ends of be was found a large marble slab cut pyramidally on one side and
hollowed out on the other. On the side, along the three edges which
loading ...