Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 5.1886-1890

Seite: 200
Zitierlink: 
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1886_1890/0216
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
200

DISCOVERIES AT ANTHEDON.

the westward. It is cut by grooves 0.11 m. wide and 0.08 m. deep,
which are represented in accompanying plan. These grooves may
have been used in fastening on an upper course of stones, or, more
probably, they may have served merely to let the water run off when
the waves dashed over the platform, as must have occurred if the plat-
form was originally of its present height.2 The wall c shows no trace of
further extension toward the east, but apparently ran some distance fur-
ther toward the west. The length of the existing portion of the wall
is 26.25 m. It is built of regular, well-squared blocks of poros. The
wall d is 0.40 m. higher, and runs parallel to c. Its eastern portion
is very regular. Toward the west, although it is firmly built and
averages over a metre in breadth, the edges are very irregular. There
is no trace of a continuation of this wall farther to the west. Its total
length is 50 m. The wall c is parallel to c and d until it reaches a
point just beyond the end of d, when it bends sharply. It greatly re-
sembles d in every respect; like d it is regular and even at the eastern
end, but it soon grows irregular at the edges and is more irregular
than d. Its total length is 47 m. These two walls are crossed at
right angles by a third, e, which corresponds in all respects to d and
e. Where it intersects d and e it is regular and even, but it soon be-
comes ragged at the edges, and is the most irregular of the three walls.
This irregularity may perhaps be explained by the nature of the mate-
rial, which is soft and friable, but, at and near the junction of d, t, and
e, the walls, though of the same material, are as regular and even as
if built of marble. From e is built a slightly sloping, regular foun-
dation of blocks a little over a metre in width. It appears to be the
foundation of a sloping entrance into the structure. It is flanked by
two blocks of limestone about 0.80 m. square, on which are marks
of columns about 0.50 m. in diameter. Directly across the end of this
entrance run the remains of a wall/, which was probably a support-
ing wall, not rising much above its present level. The length of this
wall, as it now exists, is 11 m.

All the walls so far described are very much alike, and seem to have
belonged, with the platform, to a single structure. What this struc-
ture was it is difficult to say. It certainly was not a temple. Now
the only building not a temple which our literary authorities speak of,

2 Mr. Schultz believes that the platform was originally much higher, reaching the
level of the foundations.
loading ...