Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 5.1886-1890

Seite: 266
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1886_1890/0284
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
266

DISCOVERIES AT PLATAIA.

from the "west end is the best-preserved, its extreme height being 3.85
m.* The wall makes a rather sharp turn at Z', and thence runs almost
due north, with a few slight angles, for over 150 m., finally being lost
amid a tangle of blocks and house-walls, which continue till within
50 m. or so of V. The wall runs throughout on almost level ground,
and no traces of a gate appear. Below the point 0, near the road, are
19 m. of the inner facing of a Avail, built of large cut blocks, appar-
ently of the second jjeriod. No connection could be made out between
it and the main western wall, and it is probably all that remains of a
wall figured in Stanhope's map, but of which all other traces are now
lost. At P, there are scanty remains of a wall of the same period,
half-way down the rather steep, earth-covered slope, and above this is
a right angle, apparently a corner of a tower, built of small stones
and mortar, while a little further north there is a large mass of the
same material.

From 0 to Q the main wall is lost, but at this latter point we come
upon rock-cuttings, and hence to R the line of the Avail can be made
out, in a straight line, by the leveling of the tops of the rocks for
the reception of the blocks. All along this part of the west wall
the side of the plateau is fairly steep and quite high, perhaps 15 m.
above the road to Thebes. The slope, except toward the top, is not
rocky, but of earth. Below the stretch QR, at two points appear
short lengths of what at first sight looks like early polygonal ma-
sonry ; but a closer examination shows that it is late work. The
stones are very roughly fitted, and in one or two cases have apparently
been taken from an early wall of cut blocks. One block shows a
hole, apparently made for an iron anchor or clamp. Just below the
point R is a grave-cutting.

From the point R, the northwest angle, till half-way between S and
T, the wall remains are short lengths of rough wall made of small
stones and tiles laid in mortar. No trace exists of an earlier wall ex-
cept at S, where there are two pathways cut a few centimetres deep
in the rock, meeting in the line of the wall at an obtuse angle, just
outside which a large rock projects, its top cut away flat and level.
This may have been a small gate where met two paths, coming up
from below. A little to the west of 21, the rock has been cut away
perpendicularly for a few metres, the wall running along its edge.
Hence to U, the wall, 3.30 m. thick, can be seen just above ground,
and belongs apparently to the second period. The remains of one or

* See plate xvii.
loading ...