Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 6.1890-1897 (1897)

Seite: 41
Zitierlink: 
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1890_1897/0053
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
DISCOVERY OF A TEMPLE OF ARCHAIC FLAX.

41

unlike most Byzantine graves, had no side or top stones, the body
(one in each grave) having been simply laid in a shallow hole with a
tiled bottom.

The dimensions of the platform, which is square and oriented
exactly north and south, are as follows : diameter, each way, 3.80 m.,
height 1.45 m. ; it is composed of three courses of squared blocks,
nine in each, every block measuring 1.25 m. square and 0.45 m. deep,
the lowest course projecting a couple of centimetres all around. The
blocks are fairly shaped, but roughly finished, laid together without
clamps or mortar, the whole being evidently a foundation for some
monument. At a distance of 8 m. to both north and south a rough
wall of smaller squared stones was found, running east and west.
Trenches were sunk inside the supposed enclosure, but with no result,
except the finding of the graves and pottery above mentioned, all of
which are of a later date than the two outer walls or the platform.
The ground was very heavy, as is usually the case at this season in
the plain, and, the water-sheet having been reached at a depth of less
than 1.50 m., the work here was discontinued. Small diggings were
also made at two or three other points to the north, uncovering some
blocks, apparently parts of a similar base, but very much broken up.
A plain sarcophagus-lid of gray marble was found a short distance to
the north of the large base, and another lies on the slope of the plateau,
below the point IF (see map of last year's report) of the wall, while in
the field north of the " Ruin " there lies a square stone with a slot cut
to receive a stele.

As will be seen on referring to the map of Plataea,2 there is between
Fand Wa. long stretch without remains of walls ; and in this a small
rivulet runs down to the north at the bottom of the shallow valley.
The road, marked Alopitrypi Road, branches a short distance to the
north of the excavations, the easterly branch going to the small ham-
let of Alopetrypi, while the westerly branch keeps on to the north and
joins the main road from Kokla to Thebes a few miles further on.

These three facts: the presence of a line of bases, apparently of
funereal monuments, together with sarcophagus-covers, the existence
of a road to Thebes at the present day along them, and the shallow
valley toward which the line of bases runs, with a gentle slope, giv-
ing easy access to the plateau, point to this line as that of the ancient

- Papers of School at Athens, he. cil. The rivulet has unfortunately been omitted.
loading ...