Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 6.1890-1897 (1897)

Seite: 115
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1890_1897/0127
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
A TOPOGRAPHICAL STUDY OF ERETRIA.

115

the entire distance, d-g. The summit of the hill has been leveled, so
that the existing remains of the encircling wall serve as a terrace-wall
to support the earth, and they seldom project more than half a metre
above the level of the soil within. The most imposing view of the
summit must have been from the north. Here, no portion could
have been more impressive than the walls of the great tower at e. Its
dimensions are 9.8 m. by 7.8 m., while two cross-walls divide it within
into four parts. Its northern wall is still 4.8 m. high, and it is con-
structed of regular courses, each 0.6 m. thick. The stones are not
exactly rectangular, the vertical joints not being in all cases perpen-
dicular ; but it needs only a glance at PL. vili to show that this has
nothing construetionally in common with the main acropolis-wall as
seen in the previous views. If further proof were needed, it is found
in the fact that this tower is simply built against the wall. The wall,
intact and as complete as elsewhere, runs behind the tower, the stones
of the latter being merely laid close up to those of the Mall. Stones
similar in appearance and in material to those used here are found only
in the two towers by the gate at h, and in the other similar tower at
k. The shape of the stones used varies considerably in these four
towers. The method of working is the same, even to a finished edge
extending the entire length of the corners of the towers. This last
peculiarity is found only in these four towers. These four structures,
then, must be taken as representing a particular period of construction
and repairs.

The tower at g, 4.5 by 6 m., though forming a part of the old
wall, deserves special mention. Outside of and below it are two lines
of terrace-wall. The slope here is not steep enough to require such
supports, and the walls are too far from the tower to serve to strengthen
its foundations. The more probable explanation is that at some time
a path led up the slope, rounded the western end of the lower terrace-
wall, passed between the two, turned the eastern end of the upper one
and then proceeded, between the tower and the upper wall, to the
west side of the tower, where there was a small entrance. A passage
through the inner wall of the tower is still easily distinguished. The
line for the greater part of the distance from/ to g was strengthened
by walls situated, the first 1.5 m. from the main wall, the second 1 m.
further in, which look as if they may also have had the purpose of
supporting a passage to the ramparts.

Between g and the northeast corner of h, the wall has been patched,
in part with finely worked blocks of poros stone, one of them with a
loading ...