Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 6.1890-1897 (1897)

Seite: 136
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1890_1897/0148
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
136

EXCAVATIONS IN THE ERETRIAN THEATRE.

TJie ivest wing of the scena (Plate xn). The ground plan of
the west wing of the scena has been completely recovered. That
of the east wing may now be safely restored in its general out-
lines to correspond, since the dimensions of length and depth are
the same. The rear wall of the west wing extends 10.50 m. from
the point where it leaves the outer wall of the main building, then
bends to meet the wall of the parodos, making an obtuse angle at
the southwest corner. The foundation course alone remains, laid
almost on the surface and carelessly put together of irregular
stones of different material. Judging from the inferior workman-
ship, this wing must be of very late construction. As the wall
approaches the parodos, the foundations go deeper, are heavier
and more carefully fitted. The depth at the entrance to the
parodos is 1.68 m. The front wall of the west wing is formed by
a continuation of the scaenae frons, which runs parallel to the wall
of the parodos.

In the irregular quadrilateral space enclosed by the walls just
described are various remains. One meter from the main build-
ing is a short fragment of a transverse wall, and 2 m. further
another, of which 1.70 m. are preserved. Then comes a circular
structure (marked E in the plan) 3.38 m. in diameter, which breaks
into the boundary wall at this point. Of this two courses remain;
the lower, formed of small stones closely laid in a circle, and above
it a course of poros cut to a circle on the outside and forming
a regular hexagon within. This probably served as a foundation
for a circular building of some sort, possibly a choregic monu-
ment. There is no evidence of its use as a cistern, such as have
been found in several theatres in connection with the scena build-
ing.1 A little further to the west is a base 1.97 m. square (F in
plan), formed of four slabs of black marble neatly dressed and
joined with Z clamps. The orientation of this base, which forms
an angle with both of the adjacent boundary walls, but is in align-
ment with the stylobate which extends to the westward, prompts
the suggestion that this wing was open on the south and west, at
least that part of it which lies beyond the second transverse wall.
In this case it was rather a portico than an enclosed room. The

1 Mt'LLER, Buhnenalierthiimcr, p. 38, n. 2; Papers of the American School
Vol. v, p. 14.
loading ...