Literature on South Asia – digitized
Among its 295.000 books the Library of the South Asia Institute of the University of Heidelberg also holds some rare and valuable literature from the 18th to the early 20th century. The Library offers access to digital full text versions of selected works of these historical publications and makes them available on the internet.
The digitized works are recorded in Heidi, the University Library’s online catalogue as well as inter-regional online catalogues like the SWB, the union catalogue of the South West German Library Consortium.
For further information and suggestions please mail to Nicole Merkel .
Naval Kishore Press
Digital editions of printed works from the North Indian Naval Kishore Press (est. 1858). Selected Hindi- and Sanskrit works have been OCRed and converted to searchable digital texts (Devanāgarī and Latin transliteration).
Journals on South Asia
- Hicky's Bengal gazette, or The original Calcutta general advertiser
- Himalayan Times
- The oriental annual: containing a series of tales, legends, & historical romances
- The oriental annual, or scenes in India: comprising ... engravings from original drawings by William Daniell and a descriptive account
- Periodicals and newspapers from Bengal
- Periodicals and newspapers from Assam
Books from Bengal, 1800-1950
The collection is recorded on our online catalogue HEIDI as well as on the online catalogue of the Special Collection Catalogue of South Asia and the online catalogue of the SWB (Union Catalog of the South West German Library Consortium). There you can find digitized literature of the 20th century and electronic full-texts, too, made available through other national or international institutions.