Egypt Exploration Fund [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1909-1910

Seite: 22
DOI Artikel: DOI Seite: Zitierlink:
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
1 cm

Progkess of Egyptology.

" Additional knowledge of the history of the temple also lias been
gained by the excavations. A fragment was found of an offering bowl,
dedicated in tbe reign of A pries. Of the existing temple two stages of
construction bave been déterminée! earlier than tbe reign of ÏTectanebo,
and in Ptolemaic times aelditions and changes were niade which have
been unknown hitberto.

" An exterior stone wall surrounding ail the temple except the east
façade, and enclosing a narrow passage-way like those at Kom Ombo and
Edfu, bas been eliscovered and dated to the reign of Ptolemy II. Phila-
delpbus (b.c. 285-247) from a fragment of the dedication inscription in
Greek. Among the fallen blocks of this wall there bave been found a
great many pièces of relief of tbe reigns of Ptolemy III. Eurgetes (b.c. 247-
222) and of a later Ptolemy and his consort Cleopatra. Indeed tbe whole
site seems to bave flourished tbroughout the Ptolemaic period, and this
prosperity continued at least to the first centuries of tbe Eoman period,
when a certain Hermias dedicated a new pavement, and one Heraklios
built piers in the hypostyle to support tbe then endangered roof.

" But from the Illrd or IVth century after Christ évident signs of
clecay arc noticeable. The enclosure walls were broken in places and
encroacbed on the temple area. From thèse the excavations recovered
coins, ostraka, a bronze lamp, and a good deal of pottery. At the abandon-
nant of tbe temple as a place of pagan worship, the dwellings were built
against the outside walls and among tbe columns of the hypostyle halls,
and in the north-east corner there was erected a small Christian church.
Fragments of glaze found in connection witb tins last occupation show
that it continued until after the Arab conquest, and this is confirmed by
several Coptic graffiti in the tombs of the Necropolis el-Baguat and on
the rocks in tbe neighbouring mountain Gebel-et-Ter. Among thèse latter
is a prayer signée! and dated in the VlIIth century after Christ by Severus,
son of tbe Pagarch of Hibis."

From Mr. Qdibell (of the Sakkara excavations) :—

" The monastery of Jeremias claimed nearly ail my time during the
season of 1909-10. A lot of cells and magazines were cleared and the
plan considerably extendeel ; a number of capitals, door-jambs, and other
pièces of stone carving were obtained, but nearly ail were of types well
known from the two previous years.

" Two buildings were important ; one, a church, the fourth as yet found,
had been nearly destroyed, but the greater part of the foundations
loading ...