Egypt Exploration Fund [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1910-1911

Seite: 26
DOI Artikel: DOI Seite: Zitierlink:
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
1 cm

Pkogress of Egyptology.

discussing the anthropometrical material, remark that the G group
skeletons show the influx of dynastic Egyptians as well as of negroes
among the Nubian people, whose type was already formed.

The full memoir has appeared in two large volumes {Archaeological
Survey of Nubia, Report for 1907-1908) on the cemeteries north of
Kalabsha from Shellal to Tafa, with records of all the graves and a volume
of plans and photographs. Summarising the results, Dr. Eeisnee concludes
that in prehistoric times this part of Nubia was uniform with Egypt in
inhabitants and culture; from the beginning of the iiistoric period it
lagged behind in poverty while Egypt progressed; during the Middle
Kingdom Nubia evolved an increased culture of its own, perhaps because
it was peacefully dominated by Egyptian garrisons: in the New Empire
on the other hand it became thoroughly Egyptianised. Of the next
period, when Napata rose to independence, there is hardly any trace;
but from the Ptolemaic, Eoman, and Byzantine times there are abundant
cemeteries of distinctive types, in some ways resembling the Meroitic
cemeteries further south. The anthropometrical material is reserved for
another publication.

Aswan. Excavating for the Vienna Academy on the west bank a little
north of Aswan, Prof. Junker, found cemeteries of the prehistoric period,
1st Dynasty, Middle Kingdom, and Byzantine period; and further north
at Kubania a cemetery of the Middle Kingdom together with a very
interesting " C-group" (Middle Kingdom) cemetery as in Nubia, with
bodies both extended and contracted, and accompanied by a good series
of incised black pottery placed outside the circular stone superstructures
of the graves. Between the two sites was a Ptolemaic temple converted
into a Coptic convent. Anzeiger of the Vienna Academy, 1911, p. 159.

Ombos. Discovery of a Nilometer well preserved. Maspeko, Ann. xi. 154.

Coptos. The first season of M. A. J. Eeinach's work in the spring of
1910 is described with a plan and eight photographs by M. beinach him-
self, Rapports sur les Fouillescle Koptos (Janv.-Fev. 1910). It included a tour
through the Hammamat valley, in the course of which many new inscrip-
tions were found. After Euergetes I. the road seems to have been little
used owing to the distracted state of Upper Egypt, until it was reopened
to an active traffic with India under Augustus. M. Weill, who collabo-
rated in the work of the first season, prints a short memoir on the site of
Coptos (the condition of which is greatly changed even since Peteie's
excavations) with plans and an account of the new work. Ann. xi. 97.
EEINACH gives an account of the second season. Rev. Arch. xvii. 451.
See also below, p. 33.
loading ...