Papers of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens — 6.1890-1897 (1897)

Seite: 170
Zitierlink: 
https://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/ascsapapers1890_1897/0182
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
170

THE GYMNASIUM AT ERE TBI A.

statue of the donor of the oil-fund as the elaiothesion, and so we
get a possible, if not a probable, name for one of our rooms.
Close to the north wall of this room, not in situ but laid on its
face, was found an inscription of forty-nine lines in honor of a
liberal gymnasiarch, Elpinikos. This stele may well have been
set up in the room. JSTo place could better meet the prescription
of this inscription, avaOelvai ev rw yvfAvcuria) ev tw e-wLfyavecnwTG)
Toirrp than a place beside the statue and stele of the great bene-
factor Theopompos.

From this room the door to the west with the elaborately
moulded door-post opens into a space not yet excavated, which
was probably a porch thrown out in front of this northern half
of the gymnasium. The lower part of an unfluted column broken
off at a height of about one metre, with a moulded base,
resting on a stylobate, was found at a distance of 4.50 m. in
front of the door. This porch cannot have continued along the
west front at the southern end, since the ground falls off a good
deal in front of the steps. The short wall starting westward in
line with the north stylobate of A was probably the terminus of
this porch toward the south.

Room / never had a west wall, being a sort of niche of the
porch divided in the middle by a half-column. In this room,
in situ, against the east wall, was a block of Pentelic marble
almost a cube in form, its sides measuring about a foot and a half
each way; on the front of which, inside a wreath, was inscribed
<fii\o7rovla<; iraihaiv Hapd/jiovos Aa>po9eov. Against the same wall,
further to the south, was a seat from the theatre, serving here also
apparently as a seat.

The room J" was not excavated in its northern half, but may
be provisionally restored as on the plan.

On the east side of the gymnasium the rooms B, C, and D
are taken up with arrangements for bathing, the most conspicuous
part of which is the four poros basins with which we started.
Each basin is cut out of a block 1.385 m. long, 0.95 m. high, and
0.78 m. wide. The hollow for the water is of an elliptical contour
at the top, 1.16 m.X0.65 m., and is 0.35 m. deep in the middle,
where there is a hole in each basin for letting the water run out
to the front. A U-shaped channel runs from one tub to the
loading ...