by Lech Krzyzaniak
The research on the rock art in the Dakhleh Oasis,
Western Desert of Egypt, was continued in February and March,
1992.' and was a follow up of the fieldwork carried out during
the two previous campaigns.^ It was then decided to continue the
recording of sites and individual petroglyphs localized earlier in
the eastern part of the Oasis.
The fieldwork was carried out in arbitrarily selected
square 61-39/E3, measuring some 900 x 900 m. Altogether 10
sites (E3/9-18) were recorded in detail, two more sites numbered
D3/1 and 2, situated just outside the limits of the square but in
the same geomorphoiogical settings as those found there, were
also recorded. Typically for the rock art found in the Oasis, the
sites were usually composed of several groupings of petroglyphs
and these in tum consisted of a number of individual petroglyphs.
' The held work was done by Lech Krzyzaniak and Dr, Karla Kroeper
from the Petroglyph Unit which acts as a part of the multidisciplinary
Expedition of the Dakhleh Oasis Project directed by Professor Anthony J.
Mills, to whom the members of the Unit wish to express their gratitude.
' Cf. L. Krzyzaniak, Dakhleh Oasis Project: Research on the Petroglyphs
1990, PAM II, 1989-90 (1991), pp. 60-64; M., Dakhleh Oasis Project: Interim
Report on the First Season of the Recording of Petroglyphs January/February
1988, Vourna/ ybr q/* Egyptian Ant/qa/nAy 17(4), 1987,
pp. 182-91; L. Krzyzaniak, K. Kroeper, A face-mask in the prehistoric rock
art of The Dakhleh Oasis?, ArcEeo-M/ 1, 1001, pp. 50-61.