Glasgow Archaeological Society   [Hrsg.]
The Antonine Wall report: being an account of excavations, etc., made under the direction of the Glasgow Archæological Society during 1890 - 93 — Glasgow, 1899

Seite: 43
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/antonine_wall1899/0061
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
THE ANTONINE WALL REPORT.

43

cuttings elsewhere soon made it abundantly clear that the stone
base could never have been a road. Its unfailing regularity,
usually between 20 and 30 feet south of the southern edge or
scarp of the fosse; its being thus found at places directly under-
neath the mound where the curve of the vallum above it was
still visible; the circumstance that the space between the kerbs
is always rough, is never paved or laid in convex of rammed
stones, has frequently sharply-pointed stones of some height
projecting upwards, and, in short, has no real community of
characteristics with the undoubted military way running a few
yards further south—these were facts conclusive against the
road-hypothesis. The base of the vallum had been re-disclosed.

The sections began at this point, and were gradually extended
over Croy Hill and JBarr Hill. The Society is indeed deeply
indebted to Mr. Whitelaw of Gartshore for his generous aid. The
cuttings on Croy Hill and Barr Hill were carried out at his cost
and by his directions, he having authorised Mr. Park not only
to afford the Society every facility for the investigations but
also to furnish the necessary labour. Had it not been for this
practical and public-spirited encouragement at the outset, it
may be doubted whether the series of cuttings now reported
upon would ever have been undertaken. The thanks of the
Society are also due to Mr. William Aitkenhead, Roughlands,
Carron, on behalf of the Carron Company, proprietors of Croy
Hill, for permission to excavate there. As the interest of the
inquiry increased, further sections were made at points more
easterly, in Seabegs Wood near Bonnybridge and in the wood of
Bonnyside on the west side of the camp at Roughcastle. The
earlier sections were limited to the vallum and were not carried
through the fosse and outer mound, but in the later sections,
whenever the conditions admitted, the cutting was carried
right through. The sections1 were all cut approximately at right
angles to the vallum and fosse, so as to reveal the stone base of
the former and the characteristics of the soil which forms its
substance. They usually were from 3 to 4 feet across, and of
depth varying with the height of the vallum still standing. A

1 For a type see block, infra, p. 87.
loading ...