Egypt Exploration Fund [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1896-1897

Seite: 25
DOI Artikel: DOI Seite: Zitierlink:
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen Nutzung / Bestellung
1 cm
Archaeology, Hieroglyphic Studies, Etc.


to the present writer, and confidingly placed in the hands of a pro-
fessional operator, who, without a day's delay, reduced it from end to
end to a series of small splinters.

Excavations and Explorations.

This year we have looked in vain for Professor Sayce's " Letters from
Egypt" in the pages of the Academy, that journal being no longer
under the old management. Neither has M. Salomon Reinach's annual
Chronique d'Orient yet appeared in the Bevue Archeologique. Probably
the amount of work done has been far greater than would appear from
the following report, which would have been still more meagre if
Professor Sayce had not kindly supplied a few notes at the last

Elephantine. Professor Sayce actually saw some papyrus rolls dug
out from under the VIth Dynasty wall on the south side of the island,
and subsequently was so good as to hand them over to the present
writer. Unfortunately they are much decayed, and it is doubtful whether
anything can be done with them, though their extreme antiquity would
render of great value any information which they might yield. In the
town the selbakMn have found a block inscribed with the cartouche of
Amenhetep II.

El Kab. Mr. Quibell, working on behalf of the Egyptian Research
Account for Mr. J. J. Tylor and Mr. Somers Clarke, found "New Race"
and Old Kingdom tombs inside the great wall. Some of the latter
contained inscribed objects of Senefru, &o. Outside the wall eastward
were tombs of the Middle Kingdom. Some foundation deposits were
also found in the temples. Led by the graffiti in the Eastern Wady,
Prof. Sayco found the site of the temple which preceded that of
Amenhetep III., and Mr. Qnibell's excavations on the spot brought to
light many fragments of bowls and libation tables of the Old Kingdom;
the temple itself was probably of wood. In the cliff to the south Mr.
Quibell found the wine cellar, many of the jars being still sealed with
clay. The graffiti which guided Professor Sayce connect the temple
with a white obelisk, and M. Grebaut found a white limestone obelisk a few
feet west of the temple of Amenhetep III. ; but it was afterwards lost
in the Nile. At the corner of a low cliff two miles S.E. of El Hilill,
and about the same distance from the river, there is a recess in the rock
with drawings of ships, in three of which the cabin is replaced by a
cartouche. The second and third of these cartouches are of Khufu;

loading ...