Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1896-1897

Seite: 28
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.11503.5
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.11503#0040
Zitierlink: i
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen

Progress of Egyptology.

Egypt and that of the Egyptian Research Account during the season of
1894-5 in a model memoir, Naqada and Ballas, Mr. Quibell being
responsible for the account of the excavations on the second of these
sites and Mr. Spurreli, contributing a valuable chapter on the flints.
By far the greater part of the 8C> plates are filled with remains of the
"New Race," so skilful in the manufacture of vessels of pottery and
stone, and unrivalled in the art of flint working. A minute account of
the finds is given in the text, and the theory is set forth that the " New
Eace" were invaders from the Libyan side who entered the country at
the fall of the Vlth Dynasty. The publication of Prof. Petrie's careful
record of these discoveries will doubtless draw much attention to this
ethnographical problem, and already, as will be noticed below, the obser-
vations of other explorers are throwing further light upon the subject.
M. Maspero, reviewing the work (Rev. Grit. 15 Fev.), considers the " New
Pace" to have been wandering Berber tribes, ever ready to raid and
encroach. Schweinfurth (in a footnote to his account of Mons Claudianus,
see below) thinks that the people must have come from the East, where
the slate that they used so much is abundant. It is probable, however,
that M. de Morgan's view (see Les Origines), deduced from his own
excavations, is the correct one, and that this folk was really the
primitive population of Egypt. Prof. Petrio's memoir also gives a
description of the town of Nubt, from which the god Set derived one of
his most characteristic epithets. In the course of his work Mr. Quibell
was fortunate enough to acquire a monument of the little-known king

A valuable Report on the Island and Temples of Pliilae, by Captain
H. G. Lyons, R.E., has been printed by the Egyptian Government. It
describes the operations carried out upon the island in view of the
proposal to construct a dam at that part of the river for the storage of
water for summer irrigation. The foundations of the temples were
examined in order to leorii what would be the result of yearly sub-
mersion. The Report, and Mr.—now Sir W. E.—Garstin's prefatory
note, show that the foundations are in most cases securely laid in the
rock, and that whore the annual rise reaches the stone it has had no
injurious effect upon it. Some of the foundations would need
strengthening before the construction of the reservoir.

The Report is illustrated by 50 largo and fine photographs of the
ruins, 17 photographs of antiquities, fragments of Egyptian, Ptolemaic,
lloman, Coptic, and Arabic sculpture, and 11 plans. There is a long list
of temples and other stone buildings, many of which were not previously
loading ...