2 u. Ritual vessel, with breast-shaped top and curling double handles, resembling those
of the polychrome vases from Tomb 5 (see above, p. 27, fig. 37, a, b, and pi. IV).
The apex of the vessel shows a small round orifice, as if for the reception of
libations poured from a rhyton. This vase may originally have had poly-
chrome decoration, but it was found in a very fragmentary state, and the
surface was too worn to preserve any traces of the original colouring.
Height, 27 cm. (fig. 69).
2 v. Handle and part of the pan of clay brazier or chafing-dish. (Cf. fig. 18 above.)
2 w. Handle of silver goblet.
2 x. Ears and inlays, &c, of steatite 'rhyton' in form of a bull's head. The inlays
of the forehead and cheeks were of a quatrefoil form, and consisted of
a hard purple schist. (Restoration, fig. 70.)
2 y. Hone; found outside the blocking of the entrance.
§ 1. The Pillar Rooms and Ritual Vessels of the ' Little Palace' at Knossos.
The large house opened out in the hill-side west of the Palace at Knossos
was proved to be of such extent as to earn for it the name of ' the Little Palace' \
It must evidently have been the residence of some important personage. A direct
relationship, moreover, between the larger and smaller building is indicated by
the very circumstances of the discovery of this lesser Palace. This was due to
the following up westwards of the Minoan Paved Way from the point where it
abuts on the ' Theatral Area'—the small paved court backed by flights of steps,
which seems to have been the scene of ceremonial receptions.
The ' Little Palacethe foundation of which dates apparently from the
beginning of the Late Minoan Age, not only reproduces many of the later archi-
tectural features of the greater Palace, but shares with it one marked functional
characteristic. The larger building, as its remains declare, was as much a sanctuary
as a residence, and may well have been the abode of a long dynasty of priest-
kings. So, too, in the ' Little Palace' numerous indications, the purport of
which will be described below, point to the conclusion that the building was
largely devoted to the purposes of cult. The tradition of this, indeed, survived
to the time—following on a great catastrophe, in which both buildings shared—
when it was re-inhabited and parcelled out among smaller occupiers.
Already in the year 1905 there had come to light in the north-east quarter
of the 'Little Palace', behind the large' Megaron', an area closed in and converted
into a shrine of a very primitive character in the last Minoan Age, but which had
1 See A.J. E., Knossos, Report, 1905, p. 2 seqq. (B. School Annual, xi).