Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1892-1893

Seite: 14
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.10054.4
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.10054#0028
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1892_1893/0028
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
14

Egypt Exploration Fund.

various fathers of the Church, and another giving a quotation from
Scripture.

In the Gebel el Gebrawi, immediately behind the quaint little Coptic
village of Der el Gebrawi, are the last two groups of tombs to be dealt
with in this report. These were apparently discovered by Mr. Harris,
of Alexandria, in 1850, and revisited by him in 1855, possibly in the
company of Sir Gardner Wilkinson, whose MSS. contain copious
extracts from scenes in one of the tombs. They were visited again
in 1886 by Messrs. Petrie and Griffith, and somewhat later by Professor
Sayce, who copied an inscription in the tomb of Zau (see Eecueil de
Travaux, vol. xiii.). The tombs, for the most part, are very little known,
and, pending the publication of their scenes and inscriptions, a short
account of them may prove of interest.

The tombs are divided into two groups, a north-eastern and a south-
eastern (see illustration, p. 9). The former consists of eighty tombs, which
are of the Same style architecturally as those of Sheikh Sa'id, and there-
fore most probably of the same date. Of these eighty, four contain
paintings and inscriptions. These show that the hill was used as the
necropolis of the Great Chiefs of the Du-f nome. The northernmost
of the inscribed ones was cut for the " Erjm-imnce," Asa, a " Super-
intendent of the Priests of the local hawk-deity," and " Great Chief of
the Zhi-/Nome." Near to it is the tomb of the EV/)«-prince Henku, also
a " Great Chief of the Du-f Nome," and a " Superintendent of the
Pyramid Town." A short distance further south is a much mutilated
tomb of the JZa-prince Henku (with the "good name" Cheteta).
Adjoining this is a small inscribed chamber with fragmentary inscriptions
telling us of its nameless owner, who was one " devoted to the service of
the Goddess Mati, Mistress of the City of . . ."

The south-eastern group, consisting of about forty tombs, is by far
the most important, and contains twelve inscribed ones. Of these it
will be enough to mention here two: (1) the tomb of Aba and (2) that
of Zau. Both Aba and Zau are " Priests of the Pyramid of Nefer-Ka-
Ka" (Pepi II., the fifth king of the Vlth dynasty), and may have been
contemporary with him or rather later. The walls of these two tombs
are covered with interesting scenes and inscriptions, and though con-
siderably earlier in date than those of Beni Hasan, are not unlike them
in the subjects of the paintings, which throw. much light upon the
manners and customs of the people. Arts and trades, tax-gathering
and the bastinado, sowing and harvesting, fishing and hunting, dancing
and singing, come in for their due share of illustration, and are accom-
loading ...