Progress of Egyptology.
Hall delivered a lecture upon it before the Society of Arts, published
with illustrations in its Journal, liii., p. 791, and has written upon it in
Man, 1905, No. 66, P. S. B. A. xxvii. 173.
Thebes, East Bank. M. Legrain reports on his work at Karnak of
1902-3. He records by description and figures the repairs now done to
each drum of the fallen columns in the Hypostyle Hall. In excavating on
the south of the Yllth pylon a great prostrate obelisk of Thutmose III
was found, partly cut up by later builders, also the bases of the two
obelisks and remains of the masts. The ancient names of several gates
were settled, aud a second version of the triumphal stela of Thutmose III
was found. The central passage of the great temple, from dromos to
sanctuary, was cleared, leading to many discoveries, especially the figures
of Arnun and Hut dedicated by Horemheb ; the head of the goddess,
found in Marietta's time, has long been celebrated under the name of Taia,
the Queen of Amenhotep III. Ann. v. 1.
Abydos. M. Amelineau has issued the final instalment of his quarto
publication, Nouvelles Fouilles cTAbydos, compte rendu in ex-ten so, in two
parts. They describe his final work of 1897-8. A few miscellaneous
inscriptions are printed in the long text, in which also a diary of the
work is given; and fifty-two plates, mostly photographic, represent the
objects found, some being of great interest. ■
The Osireion at Abydo.*, by Hiss H. A. Murray (Egyptian Eesearch
Account), describes a remarkable series ot subterranean chambers and
passages first discovered in 1901-2, and partly cleared in the ensuing-
season. Mr. Caulfield, in The Temple of the Kings at Abydos, had
described the temple itself, with which this hypogeum is closely related.
The latter is excavated in hard marl below the sand, and lined with fine
limestone. The portion planned lay in the axis of the temple, half-way
between that and the back wall of the temenos; from it a passage ran in the
direction of the temple, and another at right angles to it towards a mound
outside the temenos wall. Probably but a small portion has been cleared,
but the depth of the rubbish, the roof having been removed, rendered it
an expensive affair. Miss Murray copied and publishes scenes and
inscriptions of Merenptah, with texts and scenes from the Book of the
Dead and other works, such as are met with in the Tombs of the Kings at
Thebes. Osiris is very prominent; and Miss Murray believes, no doubt
correctly, that this was not a tomb of Merenptah, but rather an abode of
Osiris, or a place set apart for his cult. A special chapter is devoted to
the worship of Osiris.
Nag'a ed Deir. Dr. Reisner describes briefly his work in the cemeteries