Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1904-1905

Seite: 32
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12055.6
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12055#0044
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1904_1905/0044
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
32

Progress of Egyptology.

Beisn'ER reports on his work near the Pyramids. Ann. v. 105.

Naucratis. Hogarth gives the results of his explorations in 1903,
the painted Greek pottery being described by Miss Loeimer, and the
other small antiquities by Edgar. The sebakh diggers have proceeded
far since the previous visit in 1899, and there is little prospect of further
work being possible. Mr. Hogarth considers that Naucratis lay on the
left bank of the Canopic branch of the Nile. He distinguishes the
Egyptian town at the south end from the Greek town at the north end.
He (1) finds evidence of an Egyptian settlement earlier than the main
Greek settlement; (2) he doubts a great general disaster to the town at
the time of Amasis' accession; (3) traces an interruption of prosperity at
the time of Cambyses' invasion; (4) and a general restoration by the
Ptolemies, involving the rebuilding of the northern Greek shrines on
artificial mounds of sand heaped over the ancient sites ; (5) Naucratis was
important in the 6th century a.d., but had lapsed by the 10th century into
a group of villages. Mr. Hogarth verified the position which he had
assigned to the Helleuion in 1899 at the north end of the town, and
ascertained that there was no continuous temenos wall in the site marked
as Great Temenos by Prof. Petrie. The " Great Temenos" was a
depressed area containing Egyptian, not Greek, temples, &c, partly
surrounded by high blocks of houses and other buildings : Mr. Hogarth
believes that the river flowed through part of this area. The true
Hellenion, on the other hand, was contained within a thick wall, and
comprised a number of chambers, distinct groups in which seem to have
been devoted to distinct deities. Unfortunately the sebakhin had removed
almost all the remains down to the basal clay. Mr. Edgar is disposed to
assign the foundation of the Hellenion to the reign of Amasis from its
position, remains, and recorded history, that of the Milesian Apollo to an
earlier date. /. Hell. Soe. xxv. 105.

TellFera'in (Buto). Account of exploration by Currelly in Petri e's
TShnasya.

Kom el Abqa'in. Account of this site in the S.W. of the Behera
province, one of a number of mounds in that region which are
gradually coming under the spade of the sebakh digger; a monument of
Barneses II was found. Daressy, Ann. v. 129.

Tell el Hek. M. Cledat, working at this site (at the N. end of the
Sue/, Canal) found amongst other things a Jewish coin. Gomptes Bendus,
1905, 55.

Sinai. B. O. Thompson publishes some photographs taken by him in
1902, and criticizes statements as to the results of Prof. Petrie's expedi-
loading ...