H. Gauthieb prints a useful study of the geographical names in the
nome of Akhrnim. Bull. iv. 39.
Legbain re-studies the expression " southern city" for the district of
Thebes. Rec. de Trav. xxvii. 183.
Spiegelberg explains Matcdptov N'jcro; in Hdt. Ill 26 as a false
translation of Oasis, A. Z. xlii. 85, and discusses the city Smenu (formerly
read Sunu) of the crocodile god. Rec. de Trav. xxviii. 1G7.
Focrtau proposes to identify the channel cleared by Usertesen II and
Tethmosis III at the First Cataract with the Bab el Madaik on the west
side ; the fire channels mentioned in the Inscription of Una would be on the
east side. Ann. vi. 1.
MM. Capitan and Amand d'Agxel exhibited to the French Academy
two almost identical series of implements, the one collected in Egypt, the
other on the He de Riou, 13 kilometres from Marseilles. Many of the
types had not hitherto been found outside Egypt, and it is evident that
they had been brought thence to the island, but apparently in ancient
times. They are described as forming part of a series of remains of
different ages found on this deserted island and ranging from the Roman
to the early neolithic period. C. I!., 1905, 423.
One of the Knossos tombs (Xo. 99) opened by Mr. A. J. Evans
contained an Egyptian scarab, and the Royal Tomb many Egyptian alabaster
vessels, published in Archaeologist, lix. 479, 536.
H. R. Hall discusses some points of probable resemblance if not of
relationship between the Egyptian and the Cretan labyrinths, /. H. S.
xxv. 320, and adds a note on the two pyramids of Moeris (Amenemhet III).
ib. xxvi. 176.
Lichtexberg, in "Contributions to the Early History of Cyprus,"
draws largely upon Egyptian evidence, Mitth. d. Vorderas Ges. 1906
(vol. xi.) No. 2.
Max Muller suggests that the name of the Hittite kino- Mauthenre
may be the same as Mausolus and equivalent also to the Assyrian
Mutallu. 0. L. Z. viii. 511.
Carian inscriptions from Egypt are published and discussed by Sayce.
P. S. B. A. xxviii. 172.
A fine statuette of an Egyptian official, from the excavations at Gezer,
dating from the Middle Kingdom and probably from the Xllth Dynasty.
Macaltster, P. E. F. Q. S. 1905, 317: Griffith, ib. 1906, 121.