Egypt Exploration Fund   [Hrsg.]
Archaeological report: comprising the work of the Egypt Exploration Fund and the progress of egyptology during the year ... — 1908-1909

Seite: 21
DOI Artikel: 10.11588/diglit.12420.4
DOI Seite: 10.11588/diglit.12420#0035
Zitierlink: i
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/archaeological_report1908_1909/0035
Lizenz: Creative Commons - Namensnennung - Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen
facsimile
Archaeology, Hieroglyphic Studies, Etc.

21

The 4th Bulletin covering the quarter from January to March 1909,
is partly the work of Dr. Eeisner, partly of Mr. C. M. Firth, who, since
the resignation of the former, has undertaken the continuation of the
Survey. The point reached is now a little way south of Koshtamna,
65 miles from Shellal, and only about 45 miles remain to be explored.
There are traces of continuous occupation, but the cemeteries in the high
alluvium have been denuded by sebbakhin at different periods, and only
a few, notably a large Christian cemetery, have been preserved by drifted
sand. Dr. Elliot Smith's report lays stress on the gradual change of
population through negro intermixture resulting in a homogeneous negroid
race by the time of the Middle Kingdom. The negroes were small and
with short skulls, possibly related to the Nubas of Kordofan; but an
extremely long-skulled race of negroes appeared in late times, and a big
and tall Dinka-like tribe in the Ptolemaic age.

Prof. Maspero has issued the first part of a collection of reports on the
temples that are to be submerged in Nubia {Temples immerges de let Nubic)
with plates reproduced from old works showing their condition at various
dates, and an account of the work of consolidation as far as it has gone at
present. This report begins in the south at Amada and reaches as far as
Tafa in the north. (A letter from Mr. Somers Clarke containing some
very severe strictures on the work of the Department of Antiquities upon
the temples of Nubia is printed in the Proceedings of the Society of
Antiquaries, vol. xxii. p. 302:)

Philae. The Ministry of Public Works has issued A Report on the
Temples of Philae made in 1907 after five immersions, showing the
work of consolidation and conservation carried out in 1901 and 1902
(report by Mr. Ball), the state of the buildings in 1907 (report by
Mr. Eichmond), and chemical investigations of the stone soil and water (by
Mr. A. Lucas). It is illustrated with fourteen elaborate plans and sections
and elevations to show the foundations and the underpinning of 1902.
Especial attention was given to the possibility of the stone deteriorating.
Beyond a slight disintegration of the surface, due to the presence of salts
which are gradually working themselves out of the stone, there is no fear
on that score. There has been no settlement of masonry in any part; but
boats colliding with the walls injure the sculptures and even displace
blocks. It is recommended that booms be placed as a safeguard. The
pointing of the joints with cement was unsatisfactory, the cement having
deteriorated and fallen out in many cases. But it is stated that this
loading ...