best period. His mummy suggested a possible foreign (Levantine) origin,
while that of Thuiu has nothing to distinguish it from an Egyptian.
Mr. Lucas gives analyses of various metals and other substances.
Mr. Theodore Davis' publication this year is entitled The Tomb of
SiptaJb, the Monkey Tomb, and the Gold Tomb. Mr. Davis relates the
discovery of the tombs; Prof. Maspeko writes of king Siptah and his
queen Taouosrit who was afterwards queen of his successor, Sety II.
Mr. Ayrton describes the excavations and M. Daressy the objects found,
including the fine gold and silver jewellery of Taouosrit.
Khawalid near Abutig. Excavation in the necropolis. Lefebvre,
Ann. ix. 158.
Gamhud. Excavation in the necropolis which was discovered by the
Arabs in 1907, worked by Smolenski and then by himself. Kamal,
Ann. ix. 1.
Oases. H. J. L. Beadxell's An Egyptian Oasis is a valuable
description of the Oasis of Kharga by a geologist who has made a special
study of its ancieDt and modern water supply. Mr. Beadnell discovered
deposits proving the existence of a lake there down to Roman times,
and figures antiquities found in and below them. He suggests that the
lake may have been the result of borings for water. An interesting
account is given of the artesian wells of Roman age or perhaps earlier, and
of the remarkable conduit-galleries cut in the sandstone at a great depth
below the surface.
A. B. Buckley of the Irrigation Department describes a many-
chambered tomb which he found in 1908 at Banitti in the Baharia Oasis.
The chambers are painted and inscribed. Only a few scraps were copied
at the time, but it appears to be safe from spoliation. Ann. ix. 259.
Atfiii. Tomb with inscribed sarcophagus. Kamal, Ann. ix. 113.
Excavation of some tumuli in the Wady el-Kittan at a well 20 miles in
the desert east of Atfih: nothing was found but mutilated skeletons.
Covingtox, Ann. ix. 97.
Bedrashen. The results of the first season's work of the British School
on the great site of Memphis are published by Professor Petrie in his
memoir Memphis I. Interesting sculptures, stelae and small antiquities of
many ages were found in the ruins of the great temple of Ptah and a
temple of Menneptah discovered in the foreign quarter of the city. The
first chapter enumerates the buildings recorded to have existed in
Memphis. In the plates are included some inscriptions and pottery from
the previous season's work at Athribis and Rifa.
Saqqara. Mr. J. E. Quibell has published the second volume of his