PLATE, No. 2 — 5.
MERTON COLLEGE, OXEORD.
Founded A.D. 1264.
'The Chapel^ or, to speak more properly, the Church, attached to Merton
College, originally belonged to the parish of St. John the Baptist, and was
appropriated to the college in the year 1292, by Oliver Sutton, Bishop of
Lincoln, to whose diocese Oxford then appertained : the parishioners, however,
did not lose their right to the church, which still contiriues to be parochial
as well as collegiate.*
This is an edifice of very solemn and venerable appearance. It consists
of a chancel, or choir, with a transept at the west end, and a tower rising from
the intersection ; to which only a nave is wanting to complete the plan in the
form of a cross.f The large arch under the west side of the tower shews that
the builders intended to construct a nave, and two smaller arches at the sides
* The chapel of Jesus College, Cambriclge, was originally a paroehial church; afterwards it
was appropriated to a convent of nuns ; and lastly became attached to the college. It is built
in the form of a cross, but is much inferior in architectural beauty to Merton Chapel, though more
complete in plan.
f The cathedral church of Bristol, formerly belonging to an abbey, exactly resembles Merton
Chapel in its plan; nor is it known whether the nave was ever erected or not.